"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

OTHERWISE


I have a book I call OTHERWISE. In it I have collected and recorded thoughts, ideas, pithy sayings, and mottoes, words to live by and, of course, clichés. I hope that I am gathering wisdom and understanding. I find these quotes everywhere, in books, on tea boxes, billboards, church signs and in the lyrics of songs.
I love to browse through the pages and enjoy the thoughts that wiser folk than me have left for consideration. Sometimes I open the pages randomly and choose a selection and see if it speaks to me for the day or whatever is going on in my life.
“For your consideration I offer you….'
"Nothing has greater power than an idea whose time has arrived."
Victor Hugo

"Nothing has any power over me other than that which I give it through my conscious thoughts." Anthony Robbins

"Begin at the beginning, the king said gravely, and go till you come to the end: then stop."
Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

"In order to fly, you have to give up the ground you are standing on."
Elia Wise, Letters to Earth

"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."
Leonardo de Venci

"It turns out that an eerie type of chaos can lurk just behind a facade of order---and yet, deep inside the chaos lurks an even eerier type of order. "
Scientist: Douglas Hofstedter
Well, goodness, I could just keep copying and enjoying myself reading as I go.
Words have meanings that not only speak to logic and communication in the world: they also speak to the wisdom of the spirit, to the beauty of word pictures that form in the imagination. Some words sing while others plop and splat on our ears and mind. The written word delivers and stores these magical ciphers. Now I guess we have the internet for storage and sharing.

4 comments:

Marcie said...

That last quote really makes me stop and think. Hmmm....

Cloudhands said...

I love Physics, don't always understand it, but I enjoy trying. 20 years ago I read James Gleick's book 'Chaos' which fasinated me, everything from the "Butterfly effect" to the wonderful fractals. Just makes me curiouser and curiouser.
Thanks for looking in on me. I keep tweeking a little at a time.

Unknown said...

Great quotes. My favorite is the one from Leonardo da Vinci about once tasting flight.

It's true.

The truth of the Chaos quote seems obvious and clear to me - but that's my normal view of the world, anyway.

JBS

Cloudhands said...

Whoopie, thanks John for the chance to give De Vinci credit for his wonderful observation. When I first came across it, it gave no author. I'm off to edit the entry. I don't like how the quotes seem to blend anyway. It needed space. Thanks again.