"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

EMPTINESS

Have you ever explored the concept of emptiness. It is an aspect of 'non-being' in the Taoist philosophy found in the Tao Te Ching, a wonderful little book written 2500 years ago in China. Please consider the following translation by Stephen Mitchell.11
We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the center hole
that makes the wagon move.
We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.
We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space
that makes it livable.
We work with being,
but non-being is what we use.
Lao Tzu
Taoism became a religion, but it started out as advise for leadership and living a simple useful life. I enjoy comparing the 12 versions of the translations that I own. I also have The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff which relate the simplicity of Pooh and innocents of Piglet to the same virtues in the Tao te Ching.

If you journal or set aside time to contemplate I hope you will consider the merits and usefulness of emptiness and non-being and let me know what you discover.

2 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am aware of this - why oh why did it not come to mind this afternoon - when I was having a problem being settled.
Read my entry and you will see the events of my morning.
Blessigs to you this day.
I needed to be reminded of this.
Thank You!!

Cloudhands said...

Being Mindful is all about letting go and emptying the mind and then thinking only of what is happening in the moment of now. I thought you might have explored the concept of the usefulness of emptiness. I'm off to see what you experienced today.