"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, January 31, 2010

SUNDAY STROLL - SNOW TO ICE

Yesterday the world was white and grey. Stepping out the back door I was greeted by the winter world of snow and ice. The evergreens were laden with ice that lay heavy on out stretched limbs.
I wanted to record the sights for today's stroll. I immediately discovered the snow was crusted over with thick ice. I almost thought I would be allowed to glide across the deck to the stairs until in the first step out there was a crisp crunch announcing a firm opinion of too much weight concentrated on the small footprint of the hapless photographer. I don't have snowshoes to spread the weight out evenly and I don't even have boots. So I crunched my way carefully to the steps and turned to show my telltale trail and broken ice shards.

The path down to the creek was much narrower than usual and I took a detour through the woods.





I paused at the Sit and Ponder Bench to record the beauty and treachery of the Ice.

The Rhododendron leaves were coated and forced to hang uncomfortably until the sun and warmth could release them.

The creek flowed excitedly toward the lake carrying run off water from all the higher ground. There must be a certain warmth somewhere upstream. I've never seen it frozen completely.

The holly hangs over the creek and wears the crisp coating delivered over night.


This morning the sun came out and the scene glistened and shown bright as the sun began the task of releasing the leaves and needles from their icy overcoats.

The Quiet Country House is the place to go next to see who got out this week to stroll on a Sunday. Watch your step, it is still slippery.

13 comments:

Marcie said...

It's all very beautiful. Ice and snow, is a familiar scene to me. It is snowing like mad here right now.

What I especially liked was the blue sky peeking through in the last photo. Now that is not very familiar!

Cloudhands said...

The sun is high in the sky, the temperture hasn't climbed that high and so the glitter and gleam really dazzles the sights outside and it actually looks brittle and cold as well as sparkling and shining. The blue sky is a glorious background for it all.

Margaret Porter said...

Love this! Hope you're enjoying your blast of real winter!

Wendy said...

What beautiful pics! Snow and ice really transform a landscape, don't they? I also liked the daffodils in your last post, peeking out from the earth. Spring flowers are hardy, sometimes even popping up with snow on their heads!

Cloudhands said...

Margaret,
Snowbound is a wonderful excuse to snuggle down with a book or handwork and just ease on through the day. We will get back to basics in a day or two and the world will speed back up. Until then I'm content.

Wendy,
I am always delighted to see the early upstart Daffodils that just rush into view and then have to hunker down and wait through the last bitter days of winter. They always remind me that the earth continues to move through the seasons, all in God's stately measure of time.

Gilly said...

Yep! We got snow and ice again. Very pretty, but......

Your pics are lovely, I always feel I have been there with you!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
We have a choice don't we? We can grin and bear it or grump and gripe and the end result will be the same. Being retired makes it so much easier to grin and bear it. We can peek out the windows and sip our favorite beverage and enjoy the show.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Barbra, beautiful. I tried to comment yesterday and could not get through. I am still snowed in today - hopefully tomorrow a trip to grocery. Thank you so much for your meaningful comments on my journey. Stay warm!!!

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I'm glad you were able to comment this morning. Computers are still a mystery to me and sometimes mine acts like a mischievous child, pulling pranks and just being stubborn. Be careful when you finally get out to go to the store. We went yesterday and the main roads were fine, but these back roads were a mess.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

First I strolled with Aisling, now with you. I especially love the creek photograph and could almost hear it.

Thank you!

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Cloudhands said...

Sharon,
The creek is a wonderful feature of our property. It has always been a place to go and sit and meditate. The sounds of water bless and soothe the spirit. The red bridge that spans the creek is also a fun place to do my Tai Chi practice. Thanks for stopping by.

Beth Niquette said...

My word...how very lovely.

I do envy you your snow and ice. It is so....boring here. Everywhere but where I live there seems to be a snowstorm. How I would adore a snowstorm--but alas, perhaps not this winter.

Your photos are beautiful! ((hugs)) You are such an encourager.

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
If you only knew how tired we are of snow. We moved to Tennessee and were thrilled with the mild winters after a lifetime of Michigan weather. As beautiful as the white mantle of snow can be, we are fickle and long for warmer more colorful days.