"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

We love our fried green tomatoes and so we are always eager to have our first tomato harvest of the summer when some green fruits are a nice size for slicing and frying. My appetite is peaking as I begin the simple process.
Slices are dredged in cornmeal and a little flour with seasonings of salt, fresh ground pepper and today I added some sage. My heritage impels me to use white cornmeal, the preferred meal of southerners.
After sitting aside the slices to rest and absorb the coating I like to fry the tomatoes in a mix of butter and olive oil over a low flame till browned with a crisp coating and turned to do the same for the other side. The meat of the tomato will be cooked and just luscious.



Before I could take the picture DH have served himself tomato slices, pork slices and a bit of salad. Fried Green Tomatoes are a favorite of his and the first of the season were not to be denied one second longer.



No comments: