"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, July 18, 2010

THE SHOW GOES ON AND ON

I kept my father's work shoes that had spent many hours in gardens over the years and so even though I know nature will work her will on them, I've kept them in the yard at the foot of the steps. There were two of course, but Ruby the Great Dane carried one away never to be seen again.

DH planted a small row of cotton and I think the leaves are just delightful. I'm looking forward to watching the bolls form and then carefully picking a little cotton in memory of his family history in the cotton fields of Alabama.

The wild Blueberries are almost gone, but the tame bushes are giving us larger and somewhat sweeter berries now.


The best thing about gardens are all the visitors who come to visit and share the bounty that we don't happen to use. The Butterfly Bush is hosting a variety of insects, the flashiest being the butterflies. Here the Black Swallowtail is sharing the goodies with --

these cute little Skippers who have arrived with about six other family members to spread around the bush and enjoy their harvest.

Close by was this lovely Tiger Swallowtail. Don't you agree with the author when he observed...


"Butterflies are self propelled flowers"

R.H.Heinlein

10 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful pictures. I know that everytime you look at your father's shoe - have special memories. I am so happy to be back online....

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I have also been away from writing here as Blogger have been freezing my site and I couldn't get out to visit other sites. Hopefully whatever was wrong is fine now and I can venture out and about.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I was without my computer for almost 3 weeks. It crashed and now trying to familarize myself with my new HP. So different - even the keyboard. Hope I learn!!
Sorry about your problem. Did not realize I would mss it so much.
I missed everyone and their comments.

Anastasia said...

Funny you posted about butterflies - I was on a raft in a pool yesterday. For some strange reason I started to watch the local butterflies flit around the nearby garden.

They really are beautiful!!!

Cloudhands said...

Anastasia,
Butterflies are such a wonderful metaphor for new life and new beginnings. It doesn't hurt that they are also just so pretty.

Friko said...

what a lovely thing to say!
Don't you wish you could find the appropriate words
as easily as the really clever people.

Oops, re-reading that makes it look like a slight. Let me say, that I WISH I could find the appropriate thing to say, you probably already can. Love your pictures, particularly the shoe on the step.

Cloudhands said...

Friko,
You made me giggle. I would never have thought a slight was intended, my use of other peoples words occur for the very reason you expressed. Thank goodness for poets and people who express themselves lyrically. In point of fact, I think of you as one of those people.

Gilly said...

Oh, I do love your butterlies! And your photos - it takes patience to photo butterflies that flit about so!

And I never knew cotton grew on bushes like that!

Gilly said...

PS and its great to have you back!

Cloudhands said...

Hey Gilly,
Glad to be back. Hope Blogger lets me move about.
If I can figure out what I'm doing I took a video of the butterflies working around the bush and I want to get it on to my blog. I think there are about 5 Black Swallowtails and a bunch of the little Brown Skippers.