"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Friday, May 14, 2010

PICTURE THIS NATURAL CREATIVITY

What is made of paper, houses a queen and her court and really needs the secure support of more than a little spit attaching the eventual great hall to it's support system? This funny looking item hanging from a garage door looks very odd. A ball with a tube hanging down. It is a curious creation that was started in the wrong place. We found two of these 'out of place' starter houses, each hanging on one of our buildings.
We finally saw the builders buzzing around and realized that wasps or hornets were busy doing their spring chores and starting a new nest to house their queen and provide home and comfort for their colony of hornets. Generally they build in among bushes or trees, securing the nest within the branches and twigs.
Years ago after a killing frost and the end of a cycle for the wasps who owned this nest, Hubby rescued this specimen before the winter winds and heavy rains destroyed it. It hangs in his wood shop a wonderful reminder of the amazing creativity of natures small home builders.

9 comments:

Anastasia said...

I must admit, I've never looked at a hornet's/wasp's nest as you described it. My usual reaction is to scream and run in the opposite direction.

Your post has made me appreciate the work they put into their little kingdom....but I'm still going to scream and run in the opposite direction!

Happy Friday :)

Cloudhands said...

Anastasia,
I am also not inclined to get up close and personal to a wasp nest when the residents are coming and going, but I have agreed to stay out of their house if they will stay out of mine. I figure they are commiting suicide when they invade my personal space and willingly assist that death wish.
But, the ways of the insect world are varied and astonishing, and I am filled with wonder.

Friko said...

We had one inside the bird box, a wonderful, artistic affair, so delicate and intricate, it took my breath away. But i'm still frightened of wasps and I'd certainly call the exterminator if I found a hornets' nest anywhere close to the house.

Cloudhands said...

Friko,
I think being afraid of stinging and biting insects is a wise and cautious thing. But like you the nest and webs and constructions of bugs and insects can fill us with wonder and respect.

Gilly said...

Their nests/homes are incredible. And all built by such comparatively small insects! We've watched wasps chewing(?)wood off the gate and the summer house. they can take an amazing amount of wood in a very short time!

But I don't like them indoors!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
Oh my, I didn't know wasps eat wood. Or, if I did, I had forgotten that fact. They must build their nest out of some material. Yes! they must respect our boundaries and stay out of our houses.

Cloudhands said...

Amanda,
I'm so glad you stopped by and left your calling card. A very old fashioned jesture I must say that I think is very nice.

carmilevy said...

I'm perpetually amazed by the creativity of nature. Every time we think humans have written the last word, Mother Nature reminds us to look around and drink in the wonder.

Cloudhands said...

Carmi,
To wonder and to question and to be amazed keeps us young and open to the extrodinary in the ordinary. Aren't we blessed.