"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, May 2, 2010

SUNDAY STROLL - THE RAIN CAME

With a prayer in my heart for all the folks devastated by thunder storms, floods and tornadoes west of us here in Tennessee I offer a more gentle stroll with softer rain and winds.
Autumn brings falling leaves, but look what comes down in the spring.The Dogwood flowers have presented themselves in all their glory and now the wind and the rain are helping them shed their petals to allow the seed pods to grow and flourish.
Seed pods bring new life and here are the Maple Helicopters that have been blown from the trees to spiral down and bury their heads in the ground as best they can. Given half a change my neighbors yard would sprout a gazillion little Maple trees. So would the street if the asphalt was a little more porous. As luck would have it, only the seeds that were blown out and far from the trees actually have a chance to germinate.


These Sunflower seeds fell out of hubby's hand and now have popped into view thanks to the combination of sun and rain

The Wild Geraniums are beginning to show their pretty little faces.

Corral Bells rise up on long stems to wave a greeting to all who care to stop and admire them.


I strolled over to the edge of our yard to admire the neighbor's Weigela that helps define the property line.


The bush next in line is the wonderful old fashioned Snowball Bush.

Back in our yard I take a close look at the Peony to make sure our little worker ants are teasing the buds into bursting into bloom. I'm not sure just how it all works, but I've always understood that the bud will not open without the attention of the ants. So I always look for ants on my peony plant.
More Sunday strolls are happening and the pathways start at Aisling's home.

21 comments:

Marcie said...

Pretty stuff is blooming there. This year we are not far behind you. I have big buds on my peonies too! I could be wrong, but I think that thing about the ants opening the buds is an "old wives tale." I need to google it to be sure! :)

Glad you strolled, and glad you've been spared the harsher storms!

Cloudhands said...

Well, Drat,
I googled and as an 'Old Wife' I think I liked it better thinking ants and I were in cahoots in getting the Peony to bloom. Oh well, I still have a passel of superstitions I may choose not to disturb.

Patsy said...

That is funny about the ants. I have always had ants on my peonies. This year in sec spring of moving in this new house and having my peony bloom first time not a ant on them. I was told that a peony took 3 years after you planted it to bloom. Not so with this one. Of course it was in a 5 gal container.
Patsy

Cloudhands said...

Patsy,
The folk lore around plants is full of wonderful observations real and imagined. You and your Peony, of course are proof that plants like people do what best suits them and works for them no matter the stories and traditions built up around them.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

My gutters are full of what is falling from the trees. Your images are beautiful. All of my favorites. The Coral Belles I brought from the city are magnificient lining my walk. Peonies are full of buds and I have always had a Weigeila bush.
Must find one.
Thank you for your caring note:)

Everydaywoman said...

Oh the Snowball Bush! That was a favorite at my mother's house and every photo of importance in the spring--proms, graduations--was taken in front of that beautiful bush!

Thanks for shedding light on peonies and ants . . . never thought about it much, but my aunt grew such lovelies and they always came with ants!

Hope the rain stays soft and not too much or dangerous in your area, Cloudhands!

marcia said...

It's such a delight what springs brings to us. I especially love the snowball bush.

I don't have any Peonies, perhaps this is the year!

happy day!
~marcia

Gilly said...

I love peonies, but any that I have had have just got to perfection when the rains and winds come.......

And you have wild geraniums like that? I have to pay good money to get those in my garden - which I have and very pretty they are too!

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
So glad you are back on the electric grid and able to be in contact with friends.
You must have worked so hard last fall getting your landscaping started. With what you are reporting you will soon have your personal sanctuary in full color and beauty.

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
Isn't it interesting that our childhood memories do so much to shape our daily lives and decorate our homes and yards. Just think how much Joshua will cherish what you are showing him in his early years that will anchor his heart with sights and smells and sweet hugs.

Cloudhands said...

Marcia,
Thank you so much for adding to this little conversation. How can anyone not fall in love with Snowball bushes.

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
I know what you mean about the fleeting beauty of Peonies when the spring winds whoosh around the house and send petals to the ground. I guess we have to be ready to hurry the blooms into the house at the hint of a breeze. A bouquet of Peonies is a wonderful addition to any room.

Beth Niquette said...

Ah, such beauty I see...I loved going on this walk with you.

Cloudhands said...

A walk is always a joy when you have someone to share and point out wonderful photo opportunities. It even works when I imagine someone with me and try to see what might strike their fancy.

Dorothy said...

Oh dear, I love those plants however, the ants always made me not plant them. Here I thought they'd then inhabit my home now I feel so great that I learned that they're suppose to be there...

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Cloudhands said...

Dorothy,
If you can plant Peonies away from the house I think you would be safe. To me every garden deserves a planting or two of Peonies. They are lush and fragrant. They usually need to be staked because the flower heads can be quite heavy.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

I always drift over to you after visiting dear Aisling.

Thanks for the lovely images.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Cloudhands said...

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the note. My daughter Aisling, has many wonderful followers that I have certainly come to appreciate. I also find myself checking out her other visitors.

Friko said...

It's our Ash trees with provide a gazillion little seedlings if we'd let them.
So many buds and flowers already down your way, spring has truly sprung.

Linda said...

Nice photos of the blooms. Thanks for letting me enjoy the stroll with you.

Cloudhands said...

Friko,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm back and really appreciate your stopping by and sharing your observation of your Ash tree and the abundance of seed pods. Nature makes sure there are enough seeds in order to provide the earth with more trees in the future.

Crafty Gardener,
Come again when you can. I have really enjoyed sharing walks through the yard and woods where we live.