"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

GREAT GRANDDAD

This is actually my Great great grandparents William Kenner and Polly Hawkins who I want to use to illustrate this old cowboy song. They are the parents of several children one of whom was Philander, who in turn was the parent of many children of which my grandmother Ingie was one. One of her eleven children was my mother Juanita who only had two children, my brother and myself.

GREAT GRANDDAD
Great granddad, when the land was young barred his door with a wagon tongue.
The times were rough and the wilderness mocked,
and he said his prayers with his shotgun cocked;
He was a citizen tough and grim,
danger was like "duck soup" to him,
But his great grandson now falls asleep and fears no harm from the darkness deep,
for his great granddaddy fought and won and tamed the land for his great grandson.
Great granddaddy was a busy man, he cooked his food in a frying pan,
picked his teeth with a hunting knife, and wore the same suit all his life.
He ate cornbread and bacon fat, but great grandson would starve on that.
Great grandad was gaunt with toil, grimed and seamed with sun and soil,
But great grandson is fat and clean and rides to work in a Limousine.
Twenty-five children came to bless great granddad's home in the wilderness.
Laugh at that statement if you can, but great granddad was a busy man.
Twenty-five children, and they grew stout and tall on bacon, too.
Slept on the floor with the dogs and cats, shopped in the woods for a coonskin hat .
Freud was a mystery, so was Jazz, on giving their parents a scornful razz.
If they got fresh with great granddad, he tanned their hides with a hickory gad.
He raised them rough, but he raised them well,
and if they took hold of the ways of hell he filled them full of the fear of God,
and flailed their pants with an old ram-rod.
They grew strong of heart, and strong of hand,
The firm foundation of our land.
Twenty-five boys -- but his great grandson
to save his life can't manage one!
unknown author

6 comments:

Socratease8 said...

Great-great grandpa was a D@&% Tough
dude.

Cloudhands said...

Had to be I think. But the story says the boys grew stong in heart and hand, so I'm going to say they knew he loved them and needed them to be strong. Just my point of view.

Marcie said...

Cute song. Who wrote it?

Cloudhands said...

A,
I couldn't find an author in any of my searches. All I learned was that it is a cowboy song and was listed in children's songs as well as with tablature. I've had the poem in my little book for years and I think Mother had a copy of it first.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

As I read - I kept thinking that you wrote this.

Cloudhands said...

Would that I could write poetry, songs or stories. I have just learned to appreciate what other people have a knack for expressing. I am thinking of reciting this at the next talent show we have at church.