"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

IS IT FALL YET?

Yes, the signs of fall are all around. The Dogwoods trees are taking on a bronzed leaf color and the berries are ripe and ready for the birds and squirrels to fatten up for winter. The Crepe Myrtle have been in bloom for some time and are actually starting to diminish.

Another sure sign we are fast approaching autumn are all the fall flowers. Here are the dried Hydrangea, some Black eyed Susans and the Autumn Clematis. I would love to hear from someone who knows the name of the plants that sport white or silver top leaves and flowers at this time of the year. I have been calling them Rabbit Tobacco but, I haven't confirmed that with my search of the Internet. Help?

The Queen Anne Lace is doing it's 'bird nesting' and I am feeling the cool changes in the air.


And of course I am now quilting seasonal things such as the Reverse Applique Harvest Grapes.



So all in all I am seeing, sensing and desiring the full pleasure of the crisp, ripe season of autumn.
Do you not say, "There are yet four more months, then comes the harvest? I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see how the fields are already white for harvest." John 4- 35

4 comments:

Gilly said...

Now what could reverse applique possibly be???

Yes, its feeling autumnal here. Off soon to find a walk among the heather!

Beth Niquette said...

Hello, my dear! What beautiful pictures and such eloquent words. There is a coolness in the shadows, and it is starting to get dark earlier. I think I missed this summer. I don't regret that, because we were caring for my parents after the accident.

They will soon be going to their own home (they are living with us right now) next weekend! Woohoo!

And by the way, I LOVE your reverse applique grape hanging! Wow! And I have no idea what a reverse applique is!

You are a talented lady!

Cloudhands said...

Okay ladies,
Let me quickly explain reverse applique. Regular applique in fabric designs placed on top of the background to give a three dimensional look to the quilt. Quite often it is flowers applied one petal at a time.
Reverse applique is to layer different colored fabrics and then cut away the design, so in the case of the grapes and leaves, the top layer actually becomes the background as you cut away to shape of the grapes to reveal the purple second layer, then cutting through the top two layers the leaf layer is reveal and a final cutting gets to the stem layer of brown fabric. That's the deal.
I love the easing into autumn as signs start in late summer and gently ease us into the fall colors and then the slow climb into the sleep of winter.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

First rain of the season this morning and I caught sight of a bit of red on the snowball bush and another bronzing bush amongst the blooming roses and crape myrtles. Fall is on the way! Hooray!