"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

PERSIMMON PUDDING from scratch

I meant to show the 'puddin' still in the cake pan but five people waiting for a taste (me included) left that chance way behind as we shared the wonderful flavor of this Persimmon Pudding. So I leave you to imagine the plate filled with the whole dessert. When I say I prepared this from scratch I mean Flutemaker and I picked the fruit from cousin Robert Frank's tree.
Having washed and sorted the persimmons I started to press the very ripe and soft fruit through the sieve and decided to check the internet for alternate means to get the pulp.

I found one recommendation that I followed; place small amounts of fruit in a mesh laundry bag (the kind for protecting delicate laundry) and just squeeze the pulp into the bowl.

Here is the result. The peel and seeds are in the sieve and the sweet pulp in in the bowl, pretty isn't it? A very unripe persimmon is placed there to show you their size and to let you know that in that little package are about 5 or 6 seeds. I finished by pressing the back of the spoon through the peel and seeds to try extracting just a little more pulp.
I would like to share the recipe and encourage you that if you know anyone with a persimmon tree to try your hand at any recipe with this unique tasting fruit. I have no idea if the persimmons in the grocery store will work with this recipe, I've never tried them.
This recipe is for a 9x13 pan and a cup and a half of pulp. I made a 9x9 and halved the ingredients so that I didn't use all the pulp right away.
Persimmon Pudding
Mix together well
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 stick butter
Add
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
Stir in
1 1/2 c. pulp
Add mixture of
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 or 2 tsp cinnamon
finally blend all with
1 1/2 c. milk
Bake at 325' in greased and floured 9x13 pan for 30 min or so until it just begins to pull away from sides of pan.
Let cool a bit and dig in.
The finished product is sweet, rich, dense and very moist. The persimmons have a unique taste that is very pleasant. Hope you get a change to try it.

6 comments:

Marcie said...

I have a memory of trying an unripe persimmon... when we were in Indiana once I believe. It had a very strange texture and taste. I'm not sure I've tried a "good one" which might help erase that lingering memory. I love the color. It would make a beautiful paint color, I think.

Beth Niquette said...

Well, my mouth is watering just now! Mmmmmm---that looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
Unripe persimmons are awful, tart enough to make your mouth pucker. I wish you were here to taste a ripe fruit or have some pudding. I think you would find a pleasant new memory.
Beth,
I hope you get a chance to try it soon. It is yummy.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Looks interesting - think I will just stay with the "old common" deserts. I love reading your post.

Gilly said...

Don't think I've ever seen a persimmon, though maybe they have them in the exotic fruit department in our local Superstore, ot the very posh superstore not quite so local! And certainly not in the quantity for making puddings!

But it does look lovely!

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine and Gilly,
I suspect persimmons are one of those wild fruits that have no shelf life so never make it to market except small roadside farm stands. We always try to pick enough for one or two desserts each fall since my cousin has the trees in his yard.