"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TRIBUTE

In loving memory
Shelly Avo Maynard York
July 9, 1921
August 29, 2009
This is my own Rosie the Riveter, my Aunt Shellie. She grew up here on the mountain and always called her family farm 'home' and today she is being buried in the mountain cemetery where most of her brothers and sister have already been laid to rest. In every sense of the word she has come home.
Like many young people of her time when World War ll happened she answered the call to duty by working at Briggs Aircraft in Detroit as a Riveter building planes. She was out of work when the men came home from war. The world hasn't been the same since these hardy women realized what they were capable in the world of industry.
Out of work Shellie headed to the southland and found work in Atlanta. She stayed in Georgia the rest of her life living, loving, raising a family and working at various jobs and ending her work career at the IRS.
She was a joy and delight to be around and will be missed by all who knew her.

Here Aunt Shellie sits at a reunion of the Hawkins family. (Her mother's family) She sits with Uncle James her brother and the last of the seven brothers. Shellie had three sisters, one of which was my mother. This picture was taken a couple of years ago.

4 comments:

Gilly said...

You can definitely see those two are brother and sister! They look so alike.

Its always sad when family members pass on. They all have had stories to tell of past years that seem like 200 years ago instead of 50 or 60! I wonder if my nieve will remember me as fondly as I do my aunts, who long ago went to rest?

Cloudhands said...

We can only hope as we talk and play with our very young friends and relatives that we are indeed leaving good impressions and happy memories. Who knows what is of interest to these young people. I try not to seem to old and quaint, but maybe I should play that card instead. The quirky characters in my family have left the deepest impressions and the funniest stories. On the other hand my aunt has given me sweet comfortable memories.

Beth Niquette said...

Aaaaawww....what a beautiful post! It is hard when our older family members head off to glory--they always leave a hole in the world they left.

((hugs))

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to that family reunion by and by.