"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Thursday, October 15, 2009

DIDN'T IT RAIN, CHILDREN


The lyrics to the old song by Roberta Martin keep running through my mind and I can't help but sing:
Didn't it rain, children
Talk about rain, oh my Lord
Didn't it fall, didn't it fall
Didn't it fall my Lord
Can't you just hear Mahailia Jackson singing in the background.
I look for blue up above and all I see is grey, not even a gathering of clouds, just grey skies.

Every morning for a week now I have gotten up to see and hear a downpour. Here you can see the run off is tapering down some but it continues to rain a misty spritzy steady dampness in the air.


The French drain in the front of the house is filled to overflowing. It's job is to take the water away from the front of the house which is lower than the road out front and send it to the end of the house and around in the drain to the back where is can continue on down to the creek. But every morning it has been overwhelmed because the ground just can't absorb it fast enough.
I'm singing all the rain songs I can think of, because I don't have the authority to turn the sprinkler off.
It looks like one of the effects of the rain is to bring down the leaves. I guess I can add Autumn Leaves to my repertoire of rain songs.
We learned a new song in choir at church that seems to be timely. It is based on Isaiah 55:10-11.
Let the Word of the Lord fall like the rain,
let it nourish our hearts while our spirits remain
in the warmth and the glow of God's glory and power,
let it fall like the rain in our worship this hour.
Words and music; Stan Pethel

4 comments:

Marcie said...

Pretty! I feel like I need to dry off with a warm towel after reading this! :)

Cloudhands said...

If I could have figured out how to import a YouTube video I would have added a gospel song- "It won't rain forever" I'll figure it out one of these days.
It rained again today and we have a work day in the garden and around the landscape of the church tommorrow that may have to move to next week.
oh well, it won't rain forever, the drought didn't.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Posted something and think it did not go through.
Love your post and images.
I surely can relate to all you shared. It is the same here.
Suppose to frost tonight. Next week I need to clean this new country garden and then go to the city. Have a good evening and Sunday.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
We have measured 4 inches of rain in the last few days. Earlier today I put my front porch flower pots in out of the weather. As we were coming home awhile ago the bank time/temperture read 35 degrees. I really look forward to the warm fall days we love so much about Tenn.