"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, October 4, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL - BEE ROCK

On beautiful sunny, breezy fall days the need to be out in nature takes hold and off we go. Come with us as we hike up to Bee Rock just outside of town. We park in view of the Garden Inn Bed and Breakfast at Bee Rock. This Inn has a wonderful view of the Calfkiller River Valley and we are headed up the adjacent trail for our own view of that valley.

Have you got your hiking gear with you. Mine starts with my hiking stick and then includes binoculars and a camera. A water bottle would have been nice, but we forgot.
We will be following the folks you see up ahead. It is such a pretty day there are several nature lovers to be found here today.

The rock strata is obvious here and forms a stairway up the hill.
We were struck by the width of this old tree and couldn't help wonder if it is one of the rare breed of virgin timber that was never cut down when the wily white guy moved in.
Finally we begin to near the edge and the crest of the hill we have been climbing. We have a peek of the valley across the way.
Step out of Bee Rock and discover the major outcropping of rock here at the top of the mountain. The Cumberland Plateau is a flat top mountain 100 miles long and forty miles wide (give or take a little here and there) but includes valleys and deep pockets all along the way.
Here we are doing what all tourists do. We take pictures of us taking pictures. Flutemaker has his back to the vista of the Calfkiller River Valley. It was named after a local American Indian chief, the river that flows into the city of Sparta has been gathering from little brooks and streams that start up here on the mountain and run down to join together.
I've turned around and now you can see a bit of the rock face and the folks over there getting ready to repel down the wall of stone.
This area has long been used by rock climbers and emergency rescue worker for practice for more serious work elsewhere.
To see a quick video of the repelling head on over to Flutemakers alterego Socratease at his blog.
I can explain here why this area is called Bee Rock. In the good old day this rock face was home to a great number of bee hives. Apparently bees used the crevasses to house their hives and the native warriors would brave the steep walls and stinging homeowners to steal the honey. It was highly prized back home by the cooks and all lovers of sweet tasting treats.
I was enthralled by the tenacious trees and their fierce hold on the rocky top we were wandering around on.
I wanted to leave you with an enduring sign that others have been here before us. Since S.P. and G.C. were not the only inscribers up here and the fact the 74 could have been1974, 1874 or possibly 1774 I think saying "I was here" must be primordial and part of our ancient genetic material. Humans have been leaving their mark as long as they have been making marks.
So off you go to your next adventure. You can find other strollers at Aislings place.

13 comments:

Marcie said...

What a wonderful walking tour. Your vistas are beautiful and I love the history woven in to your narrative. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful walk. I love the rock formations.

Cloudhands said...

Well ladies,
We love to visit Bee Rock and I hadn't done a picture record yet, so it was a fun project. Flutemaker who is also Socretease did a picture blog and ended with a view of the repeler going down the rock face to the first ledge. We couldn't see them go farther, but they did.

Beth Niquette said...

I love the beauty of your photos--they fill my eyes--and the story of how Bee Rock got its name is fascinating to me. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely walk. I did so enjoy joining you.

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
I'm so glad you were able to join us on our outing. I love the history of this area of the world and sharing what I've learned is always a joy for me.

Gilly said...

Wonderful photos of a wonderful place! I love rocky places like that.

Took me a puzzled while to realise that what you call repel we call abseil!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
I understand perfectly your confusion at our strange use of English. I guess Repelling evolved from 'pushing away' from the rock face. Had you used 'abseil' in one of your blogs I would have been just as perplexed.
I have always been fancinated by rock formations and the wonderful ways they have weathered. I'm glad you enjoyed our visit to Bee Rock.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for this tour. The images are beautiful. I would love to stay at the bed and breakfast.

Blessed With Four said...

Wonderful adventure Cloudhands, I felt like I was with you and your man on your walk at Bee Rock and really, really wish I could have been there, what a treat to take a walk in such a beautiful place, especially in the fall as the weather cools - wow! And I luv the pic u took of your shadow before the walk - very creative indeed

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
If you just type in 'Garden Inn at Bee Rock' in your search engine you can case the joint, so to speak. I've never stayed there, but the food is wonderful. I attended a workshop there and I can say that it was very nice and the setting is marvelous.

Cloudhands said...

Blessed, I'm certain you would have enjoyed the outing. It is not a difficult climb and the scenery is worth the time to visit. We live in a richly endowed area and there are waterfalls, caves,historic towns and glorious vistas in every direction. We feel blessed to be here as I'm sure you do where you live with the ocean and all that deep southern charm. I'm hoping I remember rightly that you are along the coast.

Nina said...

Such a wonderful walk with god in all His glory! The views are breathtaking... and Soul filling. I always said if I win the lottery I want to tour the USA. Thank you for sharing your amazing day with me. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

Cloudhands said...

Nina,
So nice to hear from you. I agree that the glory of God surrounds us wherever we go. When I am out and about I find myself in a state of gratitude at the amazing creativity that fills my eyes and heart.