"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BUTTERMILK SKY


Here is a song from my childhood that caught my attention and my heart. Buttermilk Sky maybe one of the first songs that I still sing and it makes me feel so contented. Every time I see clabbered milk clouds up above I return to those days of yesteryear and remember the joy of learning that clouds have different configurations and they can be named. Fanciful names not those boring scientific Latin things.
Buttermilk Sky was written by Hoagy Carmichael around 1946 and I was five years old. I wanted to display a video of him singing but I am so raw at this that the best I could do was one of Willie Nelson which is also wonderful. The Carmichael video for some reason rejected my request, or more than likely I just hit the wrong icon. This technical stuff is not coming easy for me. I will continue to explore downloading a video here and it's bound to happen one of these days.
Music has filled my life and continues to underscore my sense of myself. Hope this works and you can enjoy this fun old song.
Click on 'share' and see what happens.

10 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

I did not realize those kinds of clouds were called buttermilk clouds. I LOVE it. Thank you! And for that song...

Cloudhands said...

Oh gees Beth,
I had so much editing on my text that you sneaked in and commented before I even knew it. Obviously you got to the heart of the matter, The Song, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love the western swing of the music.

Lonely Rivers said...

Buttermilk Sky - who knew? I love knowing this..and I loved the sweet sweet song. Thank you for a whole new way to see this particular sky!

Cloudhands said...

L.R. I have been waiting to take a picture of clouds that my father always called 'Mares tails'. Can you imagine what they must look like? I don't know if that was just my Dad's concept, but he is my only source for that description. I've always loved clouds, to me they are magic.

Gilly said...

'Mare's tails' is a recognised term for a sort of striated, high wispy cloud. Yours definitely look like buttermilk!

I think clouds are lovely, I even like the big black ones threatening thunder!

Cloudhands said...

Thanks Gilly,
You confirmed Mare's Tails clouds for me. I love to see the wispy clouds in the sky and remember my Dad talking about his father who was a Horse Trader and it all brought on by the sight of clouds in the sky.

Marcie said...

I love these clouds... Haven't had a chance to comment yet, but am thrilled to have a name for these clouds to share with my children. Can't wait to see "Mares Tails."

:D

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
I'm always looking to the sky and enjoying to clouds when they show up. I was happy to hear from Gilly that Mares tails is a real name for wispy clouds and I'm still looking. The way Daddy told it the sky needs to be relatively clear with just long tendrils of clouds.

Beth Niquette said...

We used to call those whispy wonderfully delicate clouds which herald the arrival of a storm, "Horsey Tail" clouds. This was a name given to me by an old hillybilly woman who lived in the hills in a dilapadated old house.

She's the one who got me so interested in clouds when I was a little girl. She would gesture at the skies with her gnarled caloused hands--describing what clouds signified what...

I really miss her.

Cloudhands said...

Mares tails, Horsey tails, sounds like we are all agreeing on what those wispy clouds look like. Old timers may not have had to latest technical information, but they were scientist in their own right. Knowing and understanding nature and relating to it gave our ancestors serious survival skills.