"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, November 1, 2009

STROLLING AND EATING

The bowl I bought this year is front and center. Let me tell you more of what that bowl represents.
This is the 15th year for Cookeville, Tennessee to support Habitat for Humanity in our community with a fun event called 'Cooking on the Square'. Two streets adjacent to the Courthouse are blocked off and the fun begins. I got there early enough on Friday to watch them set up. Recently I blogged about making soup bowls at a friends pottery studio and here

you see boxes full of bowls ready to be set up for display and selling of the bowls. The whole cooking experience is based on Cajun cooking with 50 vendors serving Gumbos and Jambalaya over rice. There was even some Chili which became Cajun I think with a few changes of spices.
The occasion has taken on the flavor of Mardi Gras with costumes and lots of bead necklaces.


Here is one table of bowls. Mine was not displayed in the first set-up so I bought one of these. Tables of bowls were at two different locations so the stream of buyers were able to move along quickly.

We lined up outside the barricades and chitchatted until they turned us loose and away we went from vendor to vendor. We each paid $15 for one of the donated bowls and were able to then go to as many vendors as our appetite would allow. The only money collected was for the bowls, Mardi Gras beads and money donated at the Habitat booth.

There were 50 tents and tables set up to serve the festive crowd. These folks were ladling out Chili and were representing their place of business. All the food was donated by the folks who served it.

Crawfish pie and filet gumbo anyone. Perhaps a little Ragin Cajun Jambalaya or Red beans and Rice. With 50 vendors, the variety of Gumbos was varied and delicious.


Here our friend Lee is serving some Chicken and Sausage gumbo over rice to someone who is already wearing his Mardi Gras beads. I was next in line.

Desserts were also on hand with Charlotte Burke's ( our state senator) perennial favorite offering of Banana Pudding. There were pies and cookies as well.

Find a place to sit between visits to the different tents. Or -------


carry your bowl and eat as you go, finishing the last bit as you get to your next bowlful at someone else's tent. Over the years I think various club, organizations, churches and businesses go to great lengths to serve the very best. Cooking on the Square is certainly a highlight of the fall season community festivals and fund raising events.


Standing, sitting, visiting with friends is a wonderful fun way to support a stellar community activity and a little festive music just puts the finishing touch on the noontime meal. May I present Les Kerr and the Bayou Band brought back this year by the Imaging folks at the medical center. It suited my Michigan heart to record their Mackinaw Island Blues




Wonder who is also strolling today? Lets go on over to
The Quiet Country House and find out.


10 comments:

Marcie said...

That looks like the most fun ever. It makes me want to talk our town "powers that be" into doing something similar for our Habitat for Humanity. We'd have to do it in summer probably though; the weather is too unreliable in November.

I loved this and wish I had been there. Can you photograph the bowl you bought and post it? And dad's too?

:)

Cloudhands said...

I'll photograph the bowls that we have bought over the years. Dad chose not to go this year, but I had a ball. We always do. Suggest to your Habitat folks to talk to our folks in Cookeville and I'm sure they could give some pointers, but I'm sure you all could take the idea and run with it. You would have loved it. The singer talked about going to Mackinaw and recommended taking your own Cajun spices. He found whitefish rather bland. He liked the fudge of course.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I think I have made this comment before "you live in a fun place".

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
You have also been told in reply how much we love this place. I have to believe you have all around you people and events that are special and unique to your area. If not, shame on them.

Gilly said...

That all sounds, and looks, a huge amount of fun! Try as I might, I just cannot see it happening in my part of the UK! You obviously need a tradition going back a few years for it to look like it does now, but I don't reckon it would ever get off the ground here! The weather for one woujld probnably wash it out, and the Health and Safety police would be on anyone serving food like a shot!

Perhaps I should move to a friendlier place.......!

Marcie said...

The bowls are wonderful!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
We didn't live here 15 years ago and didn't go to the early years, but it must have struck a chord in the hearts, minds and stomachs since it is still going on and growing.
I expect you have fairs and festivals that are just as much fun.

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
Since I plan to be around for a bit longer, you and the boys will have a goodly stash to divide up. The bowls get used for candy, nut and party dips from time to time. They are also great for soups and desserts.

Nina said...

What a wonderful way to have a good time and earn money for a good cause. Love the pic's and the bowls... NICE!!! I hope it is always a success and grows every year! Blessings to you and yorus. Love and Light, Nina P

Cloudhands said...

Nina, thanks for stopping by. After 15 years I think Habitat for Humanity is very pleased to be supported so lovingly by the community. I belong to a quilt group and every year we make lap quilts to present at Christmas to all the new Habitat home owners.