"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, November 22, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL - BITS AND PIECES

I present for your consideration, Oreo Cows.
We delight in passing this field inside the city limits of Cookeville where quite often these colorful cows can be seen grazing. Flutemaker put 'Orea Cows' in Google and learned they are called Dutch Belt or Belted Galloway. Don't know if these are Dutch or Scotish.
Now--- on to the stroll for the day.
We have a Japanese Maple by the front porch and although the summer leaves are just plain green the fall display is this delightful pink orange.

The fallen leaves are so dainty.

Here is a bush that has let the leaves scatter to the wind, but there seems to be a bit of random flower bloom.
I suspect a little rebellion here. I think these flowers spaced around the shrub didn't want to wait until spring and be just faces in the crowd of a bush full of flowers.

We have a wildflower patch out by the hobby shop and it has truly gone wild here at the end of the season, but there are still small groupings of flowers here and there among the grasses and fallen leaves.





We had lots of brush and fallen and pruned branches that added a little fragrance and a time of smoke draped woods. The pail is filled with water, didn't need it, the wind was tame.

With the lose of leaves the Sweet Shrub revealed three pods hanging on. This is the first year I have seen these. I'll let two of them winter over and see if we get some little Sweet Shrubs. I couldn't resist and opened one of the little sacks.
Magic seeds?
Thank you for walking along with me.
Check The Quiet Country House to see what other strollers are sharing with us.

10 comments:

Marcie said...

What a pretty stroll. I love the Oreo Cows; too cute!

I hope you get some baby sweet bush in the spring. Will you plant any of the seeds in a pot to see if you can start a bush?

Cloudhands said...

But, of course, what are seeds for if not to continue the family of Sweet Shrubs. I'm not sure if I should put the seeds in the freezer, leave them outside or plant them now. The pods on the tree were brittle a week ago, but they seem to be softening, so at some point I guess the pods fall or the seeds fall out. I may watch their progress and use them as my guide.

Wendy said...

Haha - I thought you were making a joke by saying "oreo cows". Did not think it was a species.

Loved your walk. I also have a japanese maple. Their leaves are so delicate.

Good luck with the seeds.

Cloudhands said...

Wendy,
Aren't the cows a wonderful fun creature to look at. When we drive by we always look for them, today they were right up by the fence. We turned the car around and slowly drove by to catch a good picture. They make folks who see them for the first time laugh out loud.

Beth Niquette said...

I especially loved your oreo cows--how truly droll! And your photos are just lovely I loved what the sign says--paradise, after all, was a garden. (Grin)

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
I'm glad I could give you a reason to grin. Humor and laughter are so important for a healthy body and spirit.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Enjoyed taking this stroll with you. Your little sign "says it all".

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I agree that gardens are indeed little bits of heaven. I bought the sign last winter, it is a slate plaque and I am so disapointed that the paint seems to be peeling. I have had it outside all summer. Perhaps it is meant to be displayed indoors.

Gilly said...

I love those cows! Stand them against a clear sky and you would have a head and back end and no milk in between !!

I love the way you find so many lovely bits and pieces around you. It is a bit brighter today after lots of rain, so will take my camera out!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly
Don't know if you have Oreo cookies in England, but you might have guessed they are two chocolate cookies with white cream in between.
I love your visual of the cows with a clear sky behind. It certainly strikes my fancy.