"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, November 15, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL - ART PROWL

Welcome, I'm so glad you are along to check out this years ART PROWL in Cookeville, Tn. There is a wonderful artist community here in middle Tennessee. For nine years now they have shared their love of their individual crafts. The artists open their studios, homes and gather in public spaces to demonstrate and exhibit their wares.

The area know as the West End is noted for the 1940's dairy Cream City sign still shining over the building which now houses a Bakery rather than the Creamery. From here you can walk to a number of places which are filled with art and hospitality.

This year the welcome center is here and Art Prowl galleries are designated by a decorated bike in front. We picked up our walking tour map with notes of destinations to be found after a short car ride. (bike, if you choose) All venues have a hospitality table and we were careful not to offend by not partaking of their refreshments. The welcome center not only has art and unique jewelry, there is the Cocoa Ladies and their wonderful store full of chocolate candies. We found a good friend Sarah Arp greeting and sharing her paintings in the gallery area.
Heading out the back door, we made our way to SWEET SALLY'S BAKERY and the two artists who found space to display their work.
We, couldn't resist the lure of Sausage and cheese muffins and Cappuccino for Flutemaker and an Iced Hazelnut coffee for me.

While we were waiting for our drinks, stoneware maker Laura Clemons took our pictures at just the right angle to show off the felt items behind us. You can find Laura's pottery work at Simply Functional Stoneware and the Feltgood fibers you see are made by Breanna Rockstad-Kincaid
I watched Breanna demonstrate felting and it is quite a process. Her work is delightful, hope you check it out.
Now we are at Marilee Hall Ceramics where she is sharing her studio with Arlene Dubo who paints and you see one painting here, as well as another mud artist Debi Wichman and her Claywork.

Here is a mural from Marilee that lives at our house and tells our story of quilting, aviation, labyrinth building with a creek flowing though our little piece of the world. Oh, the stairway to the star is her tribute to our spiritual aspirations. For a close up just double click on the picture.
I have also started a collection of Debi's Claywork with this little cat lidded pot.

Leaving the studio we pause to admire another landmark in this part of town. The old Train Depot is a loving example of 'function that can please the eye', it is now a Railroad Museum with several train cars and an old engine off to the right of picture.

Follow me down street to an empty store front filled now with artists anxious to show us their treatment of their favorite art medium.

Here is Joel Holmes guarding the hospitality table and standing in front of some of his photography. He favors landscapes and architecture and trains. The man loves trains.

He was also willing to trade his craft for a flute from Flutemaker and so barter is still alive and I've noted doing very well among artist. Our Mural from Marilee was a trade on my part of quilting.
We left the West End and the Art Prowl filled with visions of beauty and skillfully creative people. What a joy and a pleasure to meet them and listen to their stories.
I wonder who else is strolling let's check in at Aisling's home.

11 comments:

Nina said...

Oh what a wonderful stroll. I thank you for taking me along. What a wonderful day it's been. Your hospitality is second to none. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

Marcie said...

I love all of the beautiful artwork. Could we see a closer photo of the Marilee's mural? It looks so cool, but I don't see the detail very clearly.

It was great to go along with you. Our town does a similar event, but I haven't attended thus far. I want too, but it is hard to wander amid ceramics and other "breakables" with the little guys!

You have the idyllic life down there in your retirement years, that is for sure!

Cloudhands said...

Nina, I'm so glad you enjoyed our day out. A leisurely walk and friendly folks to visit, a perfect combination.

Aisling,
Can you not double click on pictures to get more detail? The mural enlarges nicely when Flutemaker double clicks. Let me know if it works. Come on down and stand right in front of it and I can play docent and explain the features.

Marcie said...

Oh yeah, it got huge when I double clicked. I don't know why I didn't think of that! Lol!

I just love the mural. It is wonderful and vibrant and just right for you and dad.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for letting me join you on this special trip.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
So glad you were able to come along and met my old friends and some new ones I will enjoy seeing again.

Flat Creek Farm said...

I enjoyed your pictures of the Art Prowl. I think we've been to Cookeville in some of our travels. Beautiful area! I found you by hitting 'next blog' at the top. Have you ever tried that? It's fun! Especially now that Blogger has changed things where supposedly only blogs of our interest will come up :) I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog! -Tammy

Cloudhands said...

Hello Tammy,
So nice to have you wander by. Every now and then I hit next blog just for fun. Haven't tried it lately, I guess I should and see if my interests show up these days.
I agree this part of the country is full of beautiful vistas. We certainly enjoy living here.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Gilly said...

What a wonderful place! I would love to see it!

Cloudhands said...

Tell me Gilly when you can come and we will be glad to act as tour guide and show you all our favorite places here in Tennessee. You would be a most welcome guest at our house.