"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Thursday, February 25, 2010

QUILT DESIGN FUN


I've been having fun out in my quilt studio today. In April I will be teaching a simple quilt block with the potential for creating a different result for each quilter. The fun starts after all 48 blocks of this little block are completed and ready to be sewn together as a small quilt or wall hanging. I am using left over fabric from my stash to make a "Scrappy Quilt" Our grandmothers made lots of Scrap quilts from left over fabric or worn out shirts, dresses and remnant fabrics. I put my blocks on my design wall and started to twist and turn the blocks to see how I would finally sew them all together. These are some of the possibilities that I quickly discovered.

I would probably call this look Corn Rows since it reminds me of a field of corn.

Don't know what to call this, but do you see the two different diagonal designs that occurred as I decided to alternate the blocks going straight across from the top to the bottom. surprised me to back up and see how it ended up. I really thought I was not really going to have luck with how I had twisted and turned each block.

Here the design is squared on the quilt and I might call it "Sunshine and Shadows" As I worked the blocks I saw this design happening almost right away.

If before I took the picture I had seen that I missed turning one of the blocks I would have fixed it and you would have not been blessed to see what quilters sometimes call a God block. That's a concession to the awareness that only God is perfect and doesn't make mistakes. Many a quilt has been finished, quilted and on the bed before someone (often Hubby) notices the mistake.

Like an optical illusion when you look at this design do you see the pinwheels or the wedges with blocks. When I stepped back I first saw the pinwheels and then the second design popped into sight and now that is pretty much what I see all the time.

I may end up putting the quilt together this way. I might call it Flower Garden, but it also reminds me of a Log Cabin layout called Courthouse Square. All in all it was a lot of fun to play with my fabric blocks and I'm not sure that there are not some more possibilities left for me to find.
I can't wait to see what designs the quilt guild gals find for their quilts when we do the class in April.

10 comments:

Gilly said...

I am just amazed at how different all those patterns can be from the same blocks! And how pretty they all are! Ansd I do like all the different materials used - scraps indeed!

Marcie said...

Pretty and fun! I like the Sunshine and Shadows version an awful lot, though they are all pretty!

Your "God block" is what I call a "spirit bead." :D

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
I am also amazed at all the possibilities any single block can create when each block is turned just one quarter turned from how the next one is placed. It is all part of playing that is creativity. This quilt is an echo of past quilts with bits and pieces or scraps from the many to make the new. Just plain fun.

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
God Blocks are a way to turn mistakes into something unique and interesting. Someone has said there are no mistakes just lessons learned. I was reminded by my God Block to take more time to really look at my design before snapping that picture. I don't think I would have sewn them together that way.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

You are so talented. They are all beautiful.
Think I have mentioned before that my mother quilted all the time.
I do good if I hem a pair of slacks.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
Thank goodness we all have different interests and talents. Your design instincts for gardening and that joy in tending the results of your imagination impress me. I'm glad you enjoy sharing pictures of your handiwork out in nature.

Anastasia said...

You do AMAZING work!!! Quilting is on my bucket list!!

Cloudhands said...

Anastasia,
Thank you for your kind words. I have so much fun playing with fabric and designs. If you ever start quilting I think you will find great satisfaction in each process involved.

Beth Niquette said...

Wow--I'm so amazed by quilters. What talent! These are lovely photos.

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
While our DSL is working let me quickly answer your note. I'm glad you enjoyed the many ways to turn the one block to create different designs.