"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Thursday, March 11, 2010

WHERE I WANT TO BE

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD
It seems to me I' d like to go
Where bells don't ring, nor whistles blow,
Nor clocks don't strike, nor gongs sound,
And I'd have stillness all around.
Not real stillness, but just the trees,
Low whispering, or the hum of bees,
Or brooks faint babbling over stones,
In strangely, softly tangled tones.
Or maybe a cricket or katydid,
Or the songs of birds in the hedges hid,
Or just some such sweet sound as these,
To fill a tired heart with ease.
If 'tweren't for sight and sound and smell,
I'd like the city pretty well,
But when it comes to getting rest,
I like the country lots the best.
Sometimes it seems to me I must
Just quit the city's din and dust,
And get out where the sky is blue,
And say, now, how does it seem to you?
Nixon Waterman
The Best Loved Poems
of the American People
1936

12 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

speaks to me...lovely poem :)

Cloudhands said...

Twain,
I grew up a city girl, but living in the country has filled me and blessed me in ways I knew nothing about as a child. This is where I'm supposed to be.

Friko said...

Hi Cloudhands
I came idly clicking on 'Next Blog' and stayed t read.

You have a lovely blog here and I will come for another look.

Cloudhands said...

Friko,
What a joy and delight to meet you. I'll pop on over to your blog and see what tickles your fancy.

Gilly said...

I love the countryside, but now I am older, I appreciate the advantages of living in a town. Not that I'd want city life - our town is small enough to get out of easily, and doesn't have the throbbing traffic, dirt etc. (well, only sometimes!)

But if only I could walk like I used to over the hills! :(

Anastasia said...

My "fifteen year" plan involves SOMEDAY moving from the city and into the country to start a small farm. I want to have honey bees, and sell free-range eggs. I want my mother to bake her amazing Greek pastries to sell in our country shop alongside our homemade jams, jellies, and honey.

This poem reminds me of my plan. Thank you for sharing :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh my - you speak to my heart.
This book is beside my chair and I just looked the poem up.
I grew up in the city in an apartment - horrid. The country is where my heart and soul resides.
Have a wonderful day!!!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
It really is a good thing that city life offers so many options for so many folks. Actually the more people in cities and towns the more space out in the country for those of us who are country mice. It's a shame you are limited in your ability to get out and wander as much as you once did.

Cloudhands said...

Anastasia,
I know for a fact that dreams do come true and I wish you only the joy of knowing that for yourself as your plans all comes into reality.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
The truth be told when I choose 'Far from the maddening crowd' I couldn't help but think of you and your thoughts from day to day on living in the country. We are in agreement about where we belong.

Wendy said...

What a beautiful poem. It's nice to be where you love.

Cloudhands said...

Wendy,
I agree. Being content is really just a state of mind and I try to enjoy being and doing whatever I am caught up in at any given time. Of course it really helps to be able to come home to my comfortable quiet spot in the country.