"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oh! Deer!

It is such a treat to share our home place with a forest full of wild life that gift us with their presence from time to time. Generally I'm so enchanted I just look out the window and enjoy the sight of a shy neighbor strolling into view to see what salad greens we might have to share.
But this time I remembered to grab the camera and record the ramble around the house as we went from window to window.

Walnut leaves were tested and who knows if the tree will be visited again, I expect that depends on the palate of the deer and possibly on the scarcity of better choices.

This was out the front door and the deer spotted me and with a swift turn and a couple of good leaps was back in the woods and away from the unpredictable human stalking her from the human place.

10 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

What a lovely creature! I have been trying to catch a deer with my camera for several years now!

What beautiful photos!

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
Deer startle so easily and are quickly gone. I am very happy to have captured this beautiful animal on film. It's the best way to trap them and keep them forever.

Wendy said...

What nice pics! You sure did well to capture that little critter. I'm surprised he (or she?) would come so close to the house.

Marcie said...

So pretty!

Cloudhands said...

Wendy,
We live on the edge of a great forest and so see deer from time to time, especially during gardening season. Our neighbor who has two large garden areas is visited often and has had to replant deer favorite crops often over the years. We love to see the deer, our neighbor is not as fond of the sight of deer or evidence that they have been up in the yard.

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
I can't think of anyone who might not agree, except our gardening neighbor who would shoot them if he could as they graze his tender new crops.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I share your pleasure. When creatures come out of my woods - it makes me smile. I know the deer and turkeys are in the woods but have not seen them for a while.
Of course - Callie sometimes keeps them away from the house...

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I wonder if you will see them more as the corn ripens. If not deer, I know racoons love corn and have helped themselves to corn my Dad had growning here when he was alive.

Anastasia said...

We live in a highly populated area - so a deer floating into our yard is highly unlikely! We recently put in a bird feeder which is attracting some beautiful birds - and providing great entertainment for my indoor cats that watch from a window perch.

Simon himself is somewhat of a celebrity in the neighborhood - I don't think Newfoundlands are a popular breed because everyone that sees him exclaims: "Goodness, he looks like a bear."

So I guess having a "bear" in the yard is kind of like having a deer :)

Cloudhands said...

Anastasia,
How well I remember the first glimpse of our neighbors dog as he strolled into our yard to visit our collie mix, Sheba. I swear I was convinced we had a bear in the yard. He was a beautiful coal black Newfoundland with the sweetest disposition. You indeed have a wonderful substitute for any wild animal you care to name.