"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, June 27, 2010

SUNDAY STROLL - IN FULL BLOOM

Sharing the bounty of nectar are bees and butterflies as they sample different flowers on the

Bee Balm ( Bergamot or Oswego tea) choosing to have their tea undiluted rather than the weak beverage the humans are inclined to sip.


A visit to the wild flowers shows a little fly is also busy collecting flower goodies and happily being a welcome pollinator.

Aren't these 'wild things' flashing a colorful face to entice the bugs and insects to come play with them.


This year I bought two Cone Flowers (Echinacea) to add to the flower border. This one may be intimidated by the Shasta Daisies which has several flower to show off.

The Hosta are in full bloom and their trumpets or bells sway and wave in the light breeze that is a refreshing change from the hot humid days we have survived.

Here is a step back from the Sunflowers to show they are reaching a good height, not the 12 feet hoped for but looking stately and ready for a magnificent show when all the faces are turned to the sun.

Isn't this just the cutest face of a Sunflower, it reminds me of an Elf with huge ears and a cute pointed hat and a festive collar to frame its face. I kept expecting the petals to pop open and a little plant face speak to me of magical and curious things.

Here at last is what the faces will look like before the seeds begin to fully develop and the birds are called to feast.

Our three lovely Rose of Sharon bushes line the driveway and welcome all who come to visit. They will bloom continuously until frost.

With this close up of the Rose of Sharon I bid you Adieu and encourage you to
visit the Sunday Strolling list at
Aislings Country Home to visit other walk-abouts.

10 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful and thank you for letting me visit. My Bee Balm is red - the cutting I brought has not taken off as of yet. I keep watering. My sunflower seeds washed away in a rain - but I have one. Yours are wonderful. Next year maybe I will have a display like this. I have to remember these cuttings have not been in the woods dirt but about 10 months.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I always thought the dirt in forests would be rich from all the mulch of fallen leaves and decaying wood, I have learned that that is not the case. I was very disappointed and we have to augment the soil quite a bit. You are probably onto something with the observation of the plants having to become comfortable in the new enviroment.

Marcie said...

Not sure we'll have any other strollers today. My camera is on a short trip without me this weekend. :)

I enjoyed your stroll. Things are blooming beautifully there. I especially love your Elven Sunflower. Too cute!

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
I hope your camera comes home full of wonderful pictures of a good time away.
I enjoyed framing the sunflower and seeing the hidden elf pretending to be a flower.

Gilly said...

Oh, I love your fowers! what are those pretty yellow wild flowers called?

And your Elf is so sweet! We are a bit behind you, but the garden is coming along nicely now!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
The first yellow daisy like flowers are Black Eyed Susans, one of many varieties of the Rudbeckia family. The smaller flowers with the reddish brown color near the center is called Golden Coreopsis. I think they are just as pretty as they can be. I'm glad I could interduce you to them.

marcia said...

Love the flowers in full bloom and all the visitors. Your sunflowers are doing great!

Pretty color beebalm!..i have red and dark pink.

I didn't stroll this week but am enjoying others strolls :)

happy day!

Gilly said...

I thought those wild flowers looked like the ones we pay good money for in Garden Centres!!

Cloudhands said...

Marcia,
Isn't it fun to wander about in other peoples lives and see what they enjoy. We all share so many of the same interests and really have more in common that we like to pretend.

Gilly,
Garden Centers are just taking advantage of years of taming all the wonderful wild flowers that humans have enjoyed changing in clever ways. And, of course they charge for the new and improved.
I know several people that keep buckets and shovels in the car to "rescue" wild flowers from encroaching highways and major construction sites when they come across them.

Friko said...

Rose of Sharon? We call hypericums Rose of Sharon.
This is a rose of Sharon like no other I've ever seen!

Looks almost like a 'proper' rose.