"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, June 20, 2010

SUNDAY STROLL - NOT QUITE READY FOR DINNER

The birds and I are keeping a close eye on the wild Blueberries. They are tiny, but oh so tasty.


The cultivated cousins are keeping a close pace and all the Blueberries may be ripe at about the same time.

Rhubarb Pies will have to wait a year or two, but we are patient.



This little green tomato is coming along just fine, thank you. I hope many more follow for lots of tomato sandwiches this summer.

Tea drinkers may find waiting for the roses to fade and the

Rose Hips to ripen a bit tiresome, but worth the wait.


Another tea provider is the Bee Balm, I find it a little strong.

Now this is really a garnish, but Mimosa smells delicious. I haven't a clue to what liquor is used to make a Mimosa, maybe someone will enlighten me.

I'm not aware of any culinary use for Lilies, but they are so pretty and smell so good, they fill up my senses just by being in my yard.

To visit other strollers click here to visit Aislings Stroll invitation.

9 comments:

Marcie said...

Everything is beautiful and bright in your garden, Mom. I think a Mimosa is champagne and orange juice. :)

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
Now that you mention it, I have actually had a Mimosa at a brunch at friends.

marcia said...

Great pictures.

We will have no blueberry harvest this year. I think tiny caterpillars ate the leaves and unripened fruit. sooo very disappointing. we do have a few wild ones.

I am going to try the teas. we'll have rose hips and bee balm!

Cloudhands said...

Marcia,
I hope you enjoy your teas. I have a very old Rodale Herbal book that I use for tea recipes, but I'm sure there are many other sources for brewing teas.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Enjoyed my stroll - the birds beat me to it - ate my blueberrys.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
We can only hope to share the blueberries with the birds. Our wild ones are just starting to show a little color and are quite tart, but I love to gather a handful when there are lots of fruit in the bushes. I feel like a real survivalist for a few seconds. Did you ever read any Euell Gibbons books like Stalking the Wild Asparagus?

Gilly said...

Lovely pictures - and I didn't know you could make so many things with the fruits etc. Well, I knew about tomatoes!!

All your plants look very healthy - do you get rain up in the hills that the lower bits don't?

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
I hope someday you get to try some Rose Hip tea or jam.
It is no more rainy here on the mountain than down in the valley. But the whole middle of the country is receiving more rain this year than many cities would like. Floods have been the weather story this year. But the gardens are looking very lush.

Diane said...

I enjoyed looking at your garden. It brought back memories of working in my garden back home. I'm spending the summer with my children and I miss my garden.