"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

JACKSON'S QUILT LOG

To review my progress. This is what is involved in creating a quilt.
I decided Jackson's quilt should be similar but not the same as the one I made for his big brother Joshua So I had the pattern and I bought the perfect fabric.

Next step was to cut, sew and cut again. I needed lots of components to make up the two main blocks that comprise the design of the quilt.
Components piled everywhere.


Here on my design wall are the small blocks set in place to consider if this is indeed how I want them to look. The corner small blocks could be turned in a different direction for a completely different final look. I'm still considering possibilities. But today I will start sewing the large blocks together. I will have six blocks of the left hand design and twelve of the right hand design. Putting them together on point will complete the design. I love it when a plan comes together.




3 comments:

Socratease8 said...

Nice looking site, but I get to see
it up close and personal. After a
50 foot walk and into your sewing
room..there it is. Flutemaker

Everydaywoman said...

Thank you so much for sharing your quilting log with us! Quilting is truly a work of art and a legacy for those lucky enough to receive one of your quilts! I love how your design is coming along.

Recently, I did a quilting lesson with my students as it such a mathematical/geometrical process. They designed quilts, but on paper and they loved it!

My husband's dear grandmother, who lived to 99 years young, made special quilts for all babies, teenagers, married couples, etc. in the family. These are now heirlooms that we treasure. My mother also had this same tradition and now that glaucoma has pretty much robbed her sight, she does what she can by "feel," namely crocheting and knitting.

I am always SO impressed with very clever, talented quilters such as yourself and I hope that the receivers truly appreciate your gifts!

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
Yes, quilting designs are wonderful exercises in math. Small mistakes in measuring can throw a design off completely. The bigger the quilt the more outrageous the flaw. My favorite part of quilting is the colors. I love vibrant jewel tones. Or, better still is to know the quilts are put to good use. I love to see the grandkids drag out a quilt to build a fort or roll up in it for a good snuggle. My children are admonished to never make a museum piece out of one of my quilts. Use it up or I'll take it back. (empty threat,;-))
Your mom and his grandma sound like my kind of women.