"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, March 29, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL


Out in the old garden area are two peach trees. They are very pretty, at least in part. Time and bad weather have pruned them unmercifully. And so they are what they are, neglected old trees.


I swear there was a gallant honey bee working the flowers when I took this picture. I suspect she is behind one of the flowers waiting for me to leave.
My all time favorite this time of the year are the Bleeding Hearts that line the entry ramp to our house. As a child did you ever turn back the heart so that you ended up with a ballerina?
These Selfheal and Dandelions have risen in our garden space which has not been active for a couple of years. We planted, but nature did not approve. Our town had to buy water from a fellow with a big lake not too many miles from here. We have had two years of drought and veggies don't make it very long, but the resilient weeds and herbs don't need endless watering and are content.


A pretty little Bluet.


Sweet Violet

I am still practicing close ups and still envious of all the bloggers who zero in on flowers so beautifully. I may have to take a course in photography again to learn some of the tricks of the trade.


See who else is strolling today at The Quiet Country House

9 comments:

Jessica Monte said...

The bleeding hearts are beautiful. Are these perennials or annuals? I saw something similar a few years ago when I was in Machu Picchu's orchid garden. I'd love to grow something like these, but I wonder whether Virginia would be warm enough . . . where are you growing?

Cloudhands said...

Hi and welcome to my Tennessee garden. Bleeding hearts are perennials that surely do well in Virginia. They tend to prefer shade and sometimes you will see white flowers. Check your local nursery for varieties that do well there. After the blooming is over they tend to die back. The folliage comes back somewhat. Sometimes they rebloom again in the fall. You might want to put annual to fill in. I just leave them to add greenery along the walk.

Marcie said...

The peach blossoms are gorgeous! I think I got mine last year after it had already bloomed, so I'm not even sure what the blossoms look like.

It must be nice to have so many things blooming already. How wonderful!

Cloudhands said...

The peach flower is as pretty as the peach is tasty. Hope your peaches do as well.

Marcie said...

Me too! We got three really small peaches last year, but it is a very young tree.

Farmer's Daughter said...

I love the bleeding hearts and peach blossoms! Ours here in CT are still a while off. I've got white bleeding hearts that are just starting to poke out of the ground.

Thanks for sharing your flowers today!

Cloudhands said...

Abbie,
I want to put white bleeding hearts in the woods. I tried once before and they didn't come back the next year. I think I'll ask for more hints at the nursery this time. Thanks for coming by and sharing your thoughts.

Everydaywoman said...

What a nice new photo on your banner; love that bridge! Your peaches are way ahead of ours here in Connecticut. Those blossoms are beautiful. Our buds are just swelling here. There's nothing like walking through a field of pretty pink peach blossoms. And those bleeding hearts. . . what do you mean you haven't been successful with close-ups of flowers? Those are incredible and are one of my mother's all-time favorites. Thanks for sharing your things of beauty with us today!

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
Thanks for the kind words. Aisling and her brother helped me revamp my blog and led me step by step in putting the bridge in place last night during our family chat on Yahoo.