"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2009 MYSTERY QUILT

Last January Verda passed out 'Clue One' of our Mystery Quilt to be worked on for the '09' year of quilting within our Quilt Club. Each month she passed out another clue that we could follow the instructions to discover our suspect of the month. Eventually as the months passed we began to see patterns and possibilities to answer the mystery of what kind of quilt we were creating. The first month we were instructed how much fabric to purchase or gather from our 'stash'. We quilters are inclined to have shelves full of fabric (our stash) that appealed to our taste in color and possibility of quilts without knowing how we might end up using any of it in a project. This first picture shows how I followed my first clue and ended up with suspect 'A'
This process was followed each month until the experienced eye began to see likely patterns and potential. Finally we were given the final clue that showed how all the suspects lined up to create the whole picture of the finished quilt. The aHa! and 'But, of course' were realized and we could begin to sew it all together and solve the mystery.

Here I am at our Christmas party where we brought our quilts to be viewed during our Show and Tell portion of our get-together. This is a favorite and fun time to ooh and ahh and admire each others work. The choices of colors was as varied and special as each gal that had chosen them. We had learned that the pattern was called "Twisted Cables".

Come January of 2010 we will once again embark on the solving of the newest mystery that we will be presented with month by month. And so it begins as Sherlock would say. "Come, Watson, come. The game is afoot"

10 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

That is SO beautiful! I admire anyone who can sew a quilt. Especially in such a complex amazing pattern as this. WOW!

Merry Christmas dear girl! ((hugs))

Cloudhands said...

Merry Christmas to you. As an artist you know good and well that we do whatever creative thing we do one step at a time. With the mystery quilt the end result was unknown. You too could do this or better if it ever strikes your fertile imagination to try your hand at quilting. Your eye for color and design would take you a long way to a wonderful warm cuddly quilt.

CorvusCorax12 said...

how gorgeous ...i take my hat off to you

Cloudhands said...

Twain, I'm glad you like this small quilt. I hope one of my grandkids likes it and can put it to good use.

Gilly said...

What beautiful quilts! I am so amazed at the beautiful quilts you (and your friends) produce!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Cloudhands said...

Hi Gilly,
Hope you are having a wonderful blessed christmas time.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

I came across you on Aisling's blog and I am enchanted by your name. Cloudhands, wonderful image.

I'll keep track of you from now on. I work alone mostly (writer and illustrator) and blogs keep me feeling connected to real life (as do my husband, grandchildren, wild animals, and my garden and kitchen).

Wishing you all the joys of the season! Sharon Lovejoy

Cloudhands said...

Welcome Sharon, Cloudhands is a lovely movement of the hands in a Tai Chi form and the idea of my blog title Uncarved Block is from the Tao Te Ching. An uncarved block of wood or marble is filled with potential to be anything until you start carving. I began my blog not sure what I was creating. I'm still a work in progress.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful. Your quilting room reminded me of my mother's. She quilted all the time. Her quilts become more precious to me as time goes by. I now realize all the handwork and love she put into them. You are very talented.
I do good to sew on a button!!

Cloudhands said...

Hi Ernestine,
I may do a stroll to and around my sewing room tommorrow. A stroll outside right now would be quite cool and crisp and brown. Treasures from our mothers do grow sweeter and more precious as time moves us along.