"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Monday, May 18, 2009

HOME COOKING-Kielbasa Skillet meal


May I introduce you to Fred.
I found this recipe some years ago in our magazine from Farm Bureau Insurance. The anonymous cook who submitted the skillet meal couldn't remember why the family had started calling it Fred, but Fred had become a favorite meal for her family. We have found it a nice addition to our table as well. I will give her version and say here I use it as a loose guideline.
Ingredients
1 lb. kielbasa (I use turkey)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 head coarsely chopped cabbage (I like long slivers like kraut)
4 medium potatoes, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced (I like a big onion)
Apple slices (the recipe says this is optional, I always use a whole big apple)
1/2 C. water ( I always have to use more)
Procedure
Slice kielbasa into 1/2 inch slices. In large skillet- preferably a big black cast iron one- over medium heat, brown the kielbasa in butter. Obviously I use an electric skillet and keep the heat too hot, hence the need to use more water.
Add all other ingredients and mix them well. Cover and reduce heat to low. The dish is done when the vegetables are tender. Season to taste.
I always cook according to the recipe the first time, haven't really looked at the original recipe again until today.
Hope you meat eaters try this at least once. I think you will like it.

3 comments:

Socratease8 said...

It's also a great in between meal snack and it gets better with age

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I make something similar. Cook chopped cabbage, celery, onion, potatoes and carrots and Kielbasa in chicken broth. Almost like soup. So simple and tasty for One woman. Especially with cornbread on the side.

Cloudhands said...

Gotta have the cornbread. That is the primary use of my iron skillet. I may have to try the carrots, celery and broth next time. Thanks for the tip.