"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, May 17, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL-ALONG THE EDGES

Today I am strolling around the edge. Out in front are a couple of hanging baskets of Calibrachoa. To me they look like tiny petunias.
Out along the west side are the Rosa Rugosa, at least that is my hazarded guess. Our neighbor gave us the start. When the wind is right we can smell them at the house some 100 feet away. They have lots of thorns and big hips that are full of Vitamin C and used in teas.

The woods to the south are filled with wonderful trees including a gazillion Sassafras. The small twigs can be used as a toothbrush when you peel back a little bark and fray the end. It has the taste of root beer.

In the old garden area under the 'gone wild' peaches are these interesting wildflowers that I am considering to be either Lyre leaved Sage or Penstemon and then again something else all together.

Here are the 'wild peaches' that never get very big but are tasty to us, the birds and insects.

The woods are full of Mountain Laurel. This is the wondrous bud. Click it bigger to see the neat geometric shape of the buds.

Right now the buds are beginning to open and the clusters become delightful to behold when the flowers are fully open.


I include this Honey Suckle vine to show the tangled gnarly mess that nature sometimes creates.

Around the edges of the woods in the sunshine there are many blackberry patches to be found. Wild berries always seem to taste sweeter. It may have something to do with the difficult nature of picking them and the danger of snakes in the thickets.

Our property is backed up by my nephews place and these last two pictures are of the creek that runs through the south side of our woods and past their home on the way to the lake.


I hope you enjoyed the walk about and if you would like to continue with another stroller head on over to Aisling's place.


8 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Oh my this is beautiful. Thank you for the stroll into your world.
I just wonder am I going to be able to create beauty out of the thicket surrounding my country home. It is wild looking at the moment. Thoughts come to mind of just not trying to tame it.
Just have always had more manicured areas surrounding my home.
Maybe it is a time to leave nature and sit on my porch and read and write and be satisfied with some favorite plants around my home.

Cloudhands said...

I love it both ways. Near the house we like a little tamer look, but in the woods we only clear the paths for safty sake. We have little clearings where I have attempted to add flowers. They weren't selfsustaining and I will try different hardy breeds in the future. But, of course I have a husband who is willing to blaze trails and design a labyrinth in the woods, so that is a wonderful resource for our woods. I know you will live with your space and work it as you live with it and experience how it feels in the different seasons.

Everydaywoman said...

What a beautiful stroll! Thanks for sharing all the info re: the edible greenery! Do you make tea from the rose hips? I've heard about its medicinal properties. Have a wonderful week! I'm looking for warmer temperatures to come back here after a frost alert for last night and tonight ahead. . .

Marcie said...

I love all the mountain plants... leaves, flowers and twisted vines alike. You don't need to go very far at all for a really wonderful nature walk!

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
I have tried eating rose hips like little crab apples and found them very seedy. Aren't roses and apples related? Seems like they should be. I did crush a couple of hips and steeped them like tea. Wasn't that great. Maybe I should read up on the proper use for medicial purposes. When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
It may be a mistake, but we are going to transplant some honeysuckle up by the deck and let it climb up for the fragrance and pretty little flowers. I had Hyacinth Beans there one year and it was wonderful but only that summer. It will die back in the winter, but hopefully in time we will get some wonderful twisted vines for sculpture in the winter.

Diana Z said...

Amazing amazing! Such different greenery than in our area. We are just happy our winter is past and we are seeing signs of spring! I love the edges of the wild blending in with things I have planted as in your pictures.

Cloudhands said...

Diane,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. I rechecked your site to remind myself that indeed you are in Canada. I enjoy the north country, but have found my place here in the Tennessee mountains.