"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WILDFLOWER RIDE PART II

Our ride through the back roads continues now that I have looked up and given names to the flowers that I didn't know at the time. Basically I knew a Trillium when I saw them. These following flowers looked familiar but I now know for sure who they are. My main source of information was the fifth edition of "Great Smoky Mountains Wildflowers. Where and when to find them."Here is the common but lovely and charming Meadow Parsnip.
Stonecrop is the only native sedum that is found in the Smokies.

Small flowered Galinsoga (Potato weed, Gallant Soldier) it is considered a noxious weed.


Common Mallow has been used as a medicine and is related to the Musk Mallow.




May I introduce you to the Hairy Buttercup. The petals are waxy.


Foamflowers are common on rich, wooded slopes up to about 4000 feet.

Wild Oats are also known as Small Bellwort and are seldom found in large numbers at any location. (I have seen small clumps in our woods )

Now the chore is to remember these names when I am out and about with other wild flower hunters. To have these names roll trippingly off my tongue would serve me in my imagined roll of elder herb woman or medicine woman.

3 comments:

Marcie said...

I have the "garden variety" of foam flower, tiarella, in my butterfly garden.

These are all lovely! Good luck remembering their names when you need them! *grin*

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I know my woods are full of some of these wildflowers. With the rain and mud and other things that are keeping me busy I have not had time to investigate with camera in hand. Do not know if I can put their names into this overloaded computer brain "at the moment". I am impressed with the many people who share about plants and flowers and know all the proper names. I may not have that talent.

Cloudhands said...

Aisling and Ernestine,
Thanks for commenting today. I really enjoyed learning the names of these flowers. It's fun to prowl through field guides and match my pictures with theirs. I really need to keep a second set of books in the car. I should also have binoculars and a bird book with us at all times. Something to look for at flea markets and garage sales.