"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

CURIOUS CAMOUFLAGE

As Flutemaker and I were headed out for a walk through the neighborhood we saw a snake. Now there is nothing unusual about a snake in the grass. But look a little closer.
Follow the ripple effect on the snakes back. Looks like rick rack to me. Is this a new breed, the Corrugated Black Snake? Quick get out the reptile book, what does the Internet have to say?

It turns out this is a common Rat Snake and I'm going to tell you more than you probably want to know. We thought it might be a deformed Racer, but no, a Racer on being confronted by scary humans slithers off very quickly as in-- Racer. A Rat Snake on the other hand freezes in place 'assuming' if it doesn't move we won't notice it. Pictures of Rat Snakes on the computer showed the same ripple effect in their camouflaged position.
I have to tell you, it looked extremely strange.
Rat Snakes often live in tree hollows and have found comfort in barn lofts where there are mice and nesting birds.
Should you meet a Rat Snake in your travels, just know that you are a terrifying giant and the strange corrugation of the reptile is a natural defense on it's part to become invisible to a predators eyes.

7 comments:

Gilly said...

I'll try and remember that!

Weird effect, though!

Cloudhands said...

Oh it was very strange to see. I was sure there was something seriously wrong with the snake. It didn't move and I thought it must be sick. But a little research set us straight. I think if there is an "Odd but True" segment on the Animal Planet or the Nature channel this would fit right in.

Beth Niquette said...

How VERY odd! What an interesting photo--I don't think I've ever observed that before. I'm not sure we have rat snakes where we are. Wow!

Cloudhands said...

I really do need to talk to a naturalist who knows about snakes. I think we have come to the proper conclusions about the curious nature of Rat Snakes, but I would love to be told 'yes, Rat Snakes are like that.

Socratease8 said...

Here is a web site that talks about
the kinked posture of the Rat Snake.
Spread the word. Socratease8
http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/elaobs.htm

Socratease8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudhands said...

Thanks for the information page address. It was interesting to learn to say kinked posture.