"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

GRACE NOTES - PEACE PILGRIM

In 1953 this lady took the name Peace Pilgrim and began to walk across America sharing with those who would listen her thoughts on peace, personal inner peace, world and group peace. She was 61 when she began, she never asked for anything, only ate when given food and slept wherever she found a sheltered spot. She walked 28 years until her death in 1981 and covered 25,000 miles speaking wherever folks would invite her in.
Peace Pilgrim's only possessions were the clothes on her back and the few items she carried in the pockets of her blue tunic which read "Peace Pilgrim" on the front and "25,000 Miles on foot for peace" on the back. She had no organizational backing, carried no money, and would not even ask for food or shelter. When she began her pilgrimage she had taken a vow to "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food." Peace Pilgrim was a strict vegetarian and did not use fur, feathers, leather or bone.
The information above is from Wikipedia. There is much more on the Web to be learned about her and her philosophy.
New Information
This prose about Inner Peace was written by Saskia Davis and I came across this shorter version when I was reading about Peace Pilgrim years ago. I don't remember if at the time it was attributed to Peace Pilgrim but I think it must have. In the comments I have a very kind notice from the author who set me straight on her authorship. To learn more about her and a poster of the complete version go to:
Some signs and symptoms of Inner Peace
A tendency to think and act spontaneously,
rather than on fears based on past experience.
An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
A loss of interest in judging other people.
A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
A loss of interest in conflict.
A loss of the ability to worry.
Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.
Frequent attacks of smiling.
An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others
as well as the uncontrolled urge to extend it.

8 comments:

Gilly said...

What a wonderful woman! I hadn't heard of her, maybe her "fame" hadn't reached the UK, or I am just mssing things!

Not sure about my inner peace! I don't worry, hate conflict, act sponteaeusly, and I don't try to judge others or assess their actions. But I do fall down on the rest!!

Obviously a long way to go yet.

:) There, that's a smile for a start!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly, I'm so glad you dropped by. I have long admired the 'idea' of peace pilgrim. To know that a woman had the courage to wander (I understand she was never accosted or harmed as she wandered for 28 years, although she died when she was being driven somewhere and wss killed in an automobile accident.) What an adventure. Don't think I'd have to bravery to set out like that.

Saskia Davis said...

Dear Gilly,
I agree that Peace Pilgrim was a phenomenal woman, and SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE does sum up her philosophy. But I am happy to introduce myself as its author! I am not sure just how she came by it or how it came to be associated with her name, but, of course, if it is going to be mis-attibuted, there is no one I would rather be confused with!
Here is the whole piece as I wrote it, along with my copyright and contact information for reprint permission. Also, my website where a beautiful SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE™ poster is available.

SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE
© 1984 by Saskia Davis

A tendency to think and act spontaneously
rather than on fears based on past experiences

An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment

A loss of interest in judging other people

A loss of interest in judging self

A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others

A loss of interest in conflict

A loss of ability to worry

Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation

Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature

Frequent attacks of smiling

An increasing tendency to let things happen
rather than to make them happen.

An increased susceptibility to love extended by others
as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it

WARNING: Be on the lookout for symptoms of inner peace. The hearts of a great many already have been exposed;
and it is possible that people, everywhere, could come down with it in epidemic proportions.
This could pose a serious threat to what has, up to now, been a fairly stable condition of conflict in the world.
If you have some or all of the above symptoms, please be advised that your condition of inner peace may be too far advanced
to be curable. If you are exposed to anyone exhibiting any of these symptoms, remain exposed only
at your own risk.

SYMPTOMS OF INNER PEACE tm
Contact:
Saskia Davis:
Website with poster: www.symptomsofinnerpeace.net/Authors_Website/Home.html
Email: symptomsofinnerpeace@gmail.com
10640 Exeter Ave. N.E. Seattle, Wa. 98125 or phone: 206-364-7762
Blessings to you and all of your readers.
Saskia

Beth Niquette said...

What a winsome, wonderful woman. She understood what was important.

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
I hope you noted the true author of my prose selection has left a comment here. I'm so embarassed to realize how easy it is to go along and be totally wrong and not have a clue.
I love the idea of Peace Pilgrim and the hope she extended to all of us that we can be kinder and more peaceful and one by one bring peace into our lives and world.

Cloudhands said...

Mayte,
Thank you for bringing to awareness this celebration. It sounds wonderful. I won't have the opporunity to be there, but it is good to know that we are still giving attention to Peace Pilgrims ideals.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Thank you for sharing "Inner Peace Symptoms". Guess - at the moment I have caught it!!
Thank you also for your encouraging words you send me on my journal.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
So glad to see you on line. It will be nice when once again you are chronicling your journey. I suspect you are enjoying this space of free time to just 'be' Enjoy yourself. I can weel imagine you are experiencing a real peace of mind and soul.