"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, June 7, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL - LITTLE THINGS

I got distracted this week when the mushrooms lured me into the world of the small. This red fellow has pushed through the moss to spend a little time before spreading a few spores here and about. We have several reds to be seen around the woods.

A cousin, I'm sure, sports a yellow hat and is close to the old red fellow.



When I came across these fine specimens I wanted to sit and wait until they started dancing. They really made me think of the Oriental Mushrooms in the Disney movie Fantasia. I could imagine then bowing and spinning in just the cutest way.


Well, the mushrooms just kept getting smaller as I looked around and I fell into that wonderful magical rabbit hole and began to look for the pixies who live in this world of the tiny.


By golly here was the evidence of at least one pixie gardener or mini bee keeper. I must keep looking.

Just behind the brier I spotted these very small flowers. A clue that the pixies are nearby.

Oh look, Pipsissewa. I think the clever pixies wire up these plants that look like street lights for midnight illumination on their frolics. My favorite thing about these plants is getting to say their name-Pipsissewa.More evidence that pixies enjoy these woods. Here are low bush blueberries that will feed many little shy pixies and brownies.
Finally I can't prove it because they are so clever, but I think this is the entry to the Dogwood apartment complex. When the fireflies hover around the tree, I think pixies are dismounting from their rides to go into their home.


Well there you have it, a stroll through our yard, woods and my imagination. For other strolling about head to Aisling's place.

8 comments:

Marcie said...

Thanks for the memories... I've visited the pixie world with you before! I love the Dogwood Apartment Complex, and most certainly wish I could shrink down to pixie size and take a tour around inside. I wonder what style of decorating they prefer?

So many cute mushrooms there in your woods! Thank you for taking us along on your ramble. :)

Cloudhands said...

You know if you cross your fingers, close your eyes and say--"poof, poof, piffles make me small as Sniffles" you will become as small as Mary Jane did with her mouse friend Sniffles. If it doesn't work you may need some magic dust. My first thought of how Pixies might decorate was to imagine very rustic items,then again they may have very innovative wood carvers and avant-garde decorators.

Everydaywoman said...

Just love your imagination . . . I can just see those 'shrooms dancing, too!

Beth Niquette said...

How absolutely gorgeous! These pictures fill my eyes. I love your mushrooms!!!

So, what is a skink? (grin) I've never heard of a skink before!

Cloudhands said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
We are quite the imaginative family. Give us a 'what-if' and we will tell you a story about the possibility.

Beth,
A skink is a little lizard like creature. Ours were the Blue tailed skink and the Broad headed skink. They regrow their tail when broken off. Our cats made sure that happened as often as possible. Check them out on the internet, I'll bet they have pictures. Thanks for coming by.

Margaret Porter said...

I love the mushrooms. Ours will come later, way up north here, but in the meantime I can admire yours.

Your wanderings through pixie world were delightful.

I haven't thought about skinks in ages...the tails breaking so easily used to creep me out when I was a kid. Sometimes the tail would grow back forked! We haven't got them up here, but I have to admit I don't much miss them, although the sun shining on their backs was pretty.

Cloudhands said...

Oh Margaret, I now know you are a bit of an optimist if you can give the skink the benefit of the doubt and admit to a certain prettiness of the little critter sunning itself and shinning.