"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Friday, June 5, 2009

You've got to get up in the morning!

Back in the days of muddled headed mornings this is the song I would have sung if indeed I woke up singing. Go ahead and sing.

Oh! how I hate to get up in the morning,
Oh! how I’d love to remain in bed;
For the hardest blow of all,
is to hear the bugler call

You’ve got to get up, you’ve got to get up, you’ve got to get up this morning!
Irving Berlin after serving in the 1st World War


Somewhere along the line I decided I would prefer a more pleasant start to the day and so I practiced singing myself awake. Not out loud of course, I had a bedfellow who always worked the late shift and slept much later that me.My first songs to myself were obvious wake up songs like 'O, What a beautiful morning', 'Heavenly Sunlight', and the Sunday school song that I thought of as Rise and Shine and give God the glory, glory. I looked it up and it is called:

Arky, Arky Song
Rise and shine
and give God the Glory, Glory
Rise and shine
and give God the Glory, Glory
Rise and shine
and give God the Glory, Glory
Children of the Lord.

I use that a lot, It goes on and on about Noah building the Arky, Arky. But the refrain is all I really remember.

Then another song from my childhood is this:
When the red, red robin comes bobbin along

When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin’ along, along
there’ll be no more sobbin’ when he keeps throbbin’ that old sweet song
Wake up, wake up you sleepyhead,
get up, get up, get out of bed
Cheer up, cheer up, the sun is red,
live, love, laugh and be happy
What if I’ve been blue, now I’m walking through fields of flowers
Rain may glisten but still I’ll listen for hours and hours
I’m just a kid again, doin’ what I did again, singin’ this song
when the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin’ along
Harry Woods ©1926 Callicoon Music

For the longest time I sang this next song without remembering where it came from, but doing this blog entry I googled 'gray skies' and found the Broadway musical in which it was featured.

Put on a Happy Face
Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It's not your style;
You'll look so good that you'll be glad
Ya' decide to smile!
Pick out a pleasant outlook,
Stick out that noble chin;
Wipe off that "full of doubt" look,
Slap on a happy grin!
And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!
Put on a happy face
Put on a happy face
And if you're feeling cross and bitterish
Don't sit and whine
Think of banana split and licorice
And you'll feel fine
I knew a girl so gloommy
She'd never laugh or sing
She wouldn't listen to me
Now she's a mean old thing
So spread sunshine all over the place
just put on a happy face
So, put on a happy face.
Bye, Bye, Birdie Broadway musical

Do you remember a song called:
Blue Skies
Blue skies smiling at me,
nothing but blue skies do I see.
Bluebirds singin a song
nothing but bluebirds all day long
Never saw the sun shining so bright
never saw things going so right
noticing the days hurrying by
When you are in love, my how they fly.

What fun to wake up singing. it didn't come easy at first, but I have stuck to it and enjoy my mornings now so much better. I go back to these songs the most, but other songs come to mind from time to time.
I have even been know to declare in my mind:
This is the day the Lord hath made,
rejoice and be GLAD in it!
What songs sings you awake?
You do have a song, don't you?

11 comments:

Gilly said...

Oh gosh! Me singing at any time is a real pain. And I can scarcely speak until I have had my cup of tea!!

No, I have to say, very strongly, I do not have a morning song!!
And I don't think I would be popular with my other half if I did!

But I do hum to myslf later in the day!!

A lovely post, anyway!

Cloudhands said...

Humming is a wonderful way to give yourself an internal massage. All that vibration, don't you know. That last question of what is your song was a little tease. I know most folks enjoy a more leisurely waking up that I wanted. I also know folks like me drive folks like you crazy if we are in the same house.

Wendy said...

I kinda remember that first one. The only lines I recall are: "one day I'm gonna murder the bugler. One day they're gonna find him dead. And then I'll get the other pup; the guy who wakes the bugler up. And spend the rest of me life in bed. Oh, ya gotta get up.....

It's been a long long time since I've heard that song! And the red red robbin? Yikes, I think I was in kindergaarten when I learned that one!
How about: "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine.... Well that's not about getting up in the morning, but I like it anyway.

Singing myself awake. I like the sound of that. My little granddaughter used to sing herself to sleep. She was only about 6 months old (couldn't talk, of course), but used to sing. Just baby babble, but somehow it put her to sleep.

I like to listen to the birds sing in the morning. That's a real wake-up call!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I remember most of these songs.
But have to say that when I awake in the morning - my song is prayer.
I pray for quite a while before I let my feet hit the floor.
Prayers of praise, thankfulness, forgiveness, request for myself, for family and any need that comes to mind, guidance and protection, and on and on. Then I am ready to start the day. Would be fearful to not start my day any other way

Cloudhands said...

I love your verse of the Get up in the morning song. I'll have to do a lyric search for the part I don't remember. 'You are my Sunshine' is probably something I have sung to myself in the morning. I just need something to give me a little burst of energy to get me stretching and moving.
And of course you are right about the morning songs of birds. We live on the edge of a big woods and the birds are wonderful neighbors.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine, I appreciate your call to prayer in the morning before getting out of bed. I'm sure many people do the same. But something in me wants to be wide awake and filled with joy when I begin my prayer time. I spend time saying gratitudes and psalms or verses that fill me with wonder. Are we not 'wonderously made' to approach God so differently and be so blessed in our efforts.

Everydaywoman said...

Boy, you brought back memories! I used to sing my children away, when they were especially slow in the morning before school. It was a good morning song that I made up along the way, to fit the theme of the day . . . almost forgot about that!

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
How wonderful to send your kids off to school with a personalized song just for them. What fun, much better that nagging and fussing. Sometimes a good nag is in order, but a fun or happy or hurrying along song might work so much better.

Beth Niquette said...

Let me see...I have many songs--and I have to tell you, I've had pillows, books and the like thrown at the door when I've sung..."Good morning to you! Good morning to you! We're all in our places, with bright shining faces, we're ready today, to start a neeeeew day!" (Grin)

Try singing that to a cabin full of teenagers! EEEeeek!

Cloudhands said...

Beth, Isn't it fun to drag sleepy heads out into beauty of a new day. I like your song, I'll add that to my mental stack of songs. I think I kind of remember that from my church camp days.

Nina said...

You've got me sining!!! I actually woke someone up because I was sining in my sleep!! I love these lyrics! I remember sining them with my parents and I still love them today!! And yes. "Rise and Shine and Give God The Glory Glory!!!" Love and Light to you dear soul. Nina P.