"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Monday, June 1, 2009

JACKSON'S FINISHED QUILT

I really like this picture of Jack and Josh, they are all of a year older, but it just sings brothers to me. Jackson is two and out of his crib, that was my signal to get busy and make him a quilt and now it is finished. Let me review the steps I have shared here on this blog of how I went about it.. Jack's big brother Joshua who is seven had already received his big boy quilt when he moved from the crib, now it is Jacks turn. I decided to make Jack's quilt from the same quilt pattern as his brother, but I wanted it to be different in color and layout. A compliment to Josh's but unique to Jack.

First comes cutting, sewing and stacking blocks to be put together later. I find the process almost meditative


Here are the two basic components that make up each quilt. I altered the number of each and how I would set them together.



This is the new quilt. The color schemes should blend nicely on the bunk beds. At least that is my deep desire. Below is Joshua's quilt that I guess I made about five years ago. The same fabric was no longer available.


Jack's quilt is the ninth grandchild big kid quilt. They all got a crib quilt and all I asked their moms was to not hang them on a wall or put them away for keeps. I call my quilts Dragon Quilts because I expect them to be dragged, used as forts over tables or chairs, spit on, thrown up on and wrapped around as snuggly hugs from grandma. I don't think that's to much to ask. Use it or loose it, at least thats what I told them.

10 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your quilts are beautiful. Remind me of my mother's quilts. She made many through her years.
Thank you for sharing.

Cloudhands said...

I love to quilt, and I love the traditional look. I admire the more modern looks that tend to be more art than anything, but when I plan a quilt, I go back to my mother's and grandmother's style of quilting.

Wendy said...

Oh you make me laugh! Spit on it, throw up on it, etc. etc. I agree with you - use it or lose it! What a lovely gift to give. A quilt to each child. Wish I was a talented as you. I have 8 grandchildren and nobody has received a quilt - or anything knitted or sewn. I like your tradition. And the quilts just sing "Joy!"
Hugs

Cloudhands said...

Wendy,
I expect your legacy of love and laughter and however each one remembers you will be enough for each child. I'm glad to be able to give them the quilts, but I hope the memories of good times playing on the quilts is what really lasts.

Beth said...

Hello Aunt "Cloudhands"! I love visiting yours and cousin "Aisling"'s blogs. I just wanted to tell you that I think your quilts are amazing. I would really love to be able to do that for my kids and, maybe someday, grandkids. I just need "someone" to teach me! haha Anyway, love the inspirational quotes, flowers, etc.Your site ROCKS!

Cloudhands said...

Hey Beth,
Well, gol-ly it was a surprise to have you visit me here. How nice. Thanks for saying something. Sorry we weren't able to be at the boys party. Come back anytime. And I know you know our door is always open to all of you.

Gilly said...

I'm just awestruck! How do you do such beautiful quilts? How long does it take you?

(You can tell I am not a sewer, can't you??)

Cloudhands said...

Gilly I have to tell you I try not to know the hours I put into a quilt. I guess weeks or a couple of months would be an easy answer. I do not sit in my studio and work all the time. I always have something going but I am actually easily distracted by other fun things. I wrote about my grandmothers quilt February if you would like to check my archives and see what inspired me to quilt.

Farmer's Daughter said...

Beautiful! Your grandkids are so lucky to have a quilter for a grandma! I have quilts from my grandmother and great-grandmother, and I still think of them when I use them (my great grandmother lived to 99 1/2 and passed away when I was in high school, so I especially love her quilt).

I'd love to frame the quilt from my great-grandmother, but then I couldn't wrap up in it and think of her.

Cloudhands said...

Abbie,
I'm glad you managed to get here. I agree with you that a quilt is a hug from the maker. I love the quilts from my mom and grandma. I believe quilts need to be used not just looked and then of course I sometimes hang them up on the wall to soften the look of a room.