"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Friday, July 24, 2009

FLOWERING FERN

Now wait a minute, ferns don't bloom.
Do they?
Of course not.
Ferns create spores that form on the underside of the leaves and drop off when ready to make new little ferns.
This was an easily solved mystery.
After all-----
I have the world of information at hand. I have a computer.
Now I know.
My Asparagus Fern is not a true fern. It is of the genus Asparagus a flowering plant in the Liliacea (Lily) family.
These teny, tiny flowers gave me a chance to try my hand at using the macro setting on my old Sony digital Mavica camera. I'm not impressed or I'm not very good at this. I was hoping for a huge flower filling my picture. All the really close ups were fuzz, no clarity at all. I'm so disappointed. I love the really close up pictures I find on so many blog sites.
Oh, well.
I love my camera, it's big, heavy and uses a floppy disc which I just reformat and use again, but I know how to use it. I tend to be a modern tech wimp and a waste not, want not sort of gal so I'll be keeping my camera and let other folks do the fancy picture taking.

3 comments:

Gilly said...

What a fantastic plant! You obviously are much better at house plants than I am! They always die on me!

Cloudhands said...

Oh Gilly it is so nice to see you out and about. Hope all is well with you.
I must say that I nearly killed this poor plant last year through what I call 'benign neglect'. I had to cut it way, way back and hope for the best. I think the proof will be this next winter when I bring it in my quilt studio fot the season. I no longer keep plants in the house because the cats claim them.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!