"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, July 12, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL with FLUTEMAKER

Flutemaker has taken to carrying his camera with him as he goes on his walks through the neighborhood. This first picture is one of our neighbors shrubs. When he was trimming it last year he gave us a pile of cuttings and we have them started across our drive. They are tiny right now, but we look forward to several forming a nice hedge row and were thrilled to notice this year the flowers in the bush. We never realized the bush had flowers.

This is a close up of the flowers. curious aren't they? Our neighbor didn't know the variety of the shrub so we will have to do some research.

When we first lived here 11 years ago we thought someone was torturing a child. The screams were horrible. We quickly learned this fine gentleman Peacock had lost his mate and was pining for her. It still pierces your heart to hear his cry, but at least we know the source and don't feel the need to call child services.

As Flutemaker walked he took pictures of neighbors flowers and also the vacant fields so there is a mix of wild and tame here to be named.

I would love to know the name of these pretty pink flower spikes.




Mimosa is a pretty flower and smells so sweet. I used to sit under one of these trees at my grandmothers house and read for hours. I remember The Secret Garden, The Five Little Peppers, Captain Abe and The Bee Keeper.






Weed or cultivated, they are all so pretty and different from each other. We so enjoy living where nature is not that far from our door. We are not city folks by any stretch of the imagination.
More strolling can be found at Aislings place.

8 comments:

Marcie said...

All very pretty! I took a walk, but my camera is not working. Then, I tried to post some photos I already had on my pc, but Blogger wasn't cooperating! Good thing I can enjoy other strolls online! :)

Cloudhands said...

We live in the age of technical glory and annoying glitches. You got a double whammy with camera and computer.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you don't have to call children's services... although I feel bad for the pretty fellow. Lovely stroll and memories of reading.

Everydaywoman said...

What beautiful flowers, wild and tame, that you and Flutemaker saw on your walk. I love how you both take in every little detail. The white flowers remind me of my mother's "Snowball bush" where we photographed many momentous occasions, including graduations and proms.

Oh my goodness, just how long does a Peacock pine for his mate? They mate for life, I suppose?

Thanks for sharing your stroll!

Cloudhands said...

Dear Movinginspirals,
I thank you for stopping by, The first time I hear Mr Peacock cry I made a beeline to our neighbor and learned the sad story of lost love. I feel sorry for his as well. He has no one to spread his tail for and so he drags that great tail and sings his sad song.

Ruth,
I have been told that these birds mate for life. I'm not sure if that is the whole story, but either way it is sad. He seems to have a long life span and I guess the pair were in place for some years before the peahen died. Oh, my, the stuff of legends.

Gilly said...

Those pink flowers look like some sort of spirea. We have some very similar that come up the size of a small bush.

Lovely photos and lovely walk!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
Thanks for the hint on the pink flowers. There are several small clumps of them in an old farm field and I will see if they are the spirea that you suspect. My plan is to 'rescue' a couple of plants from the field when the time seems right.

Marilee said...

Ooo, I see that gorgeous milkthistle I love so much! All so tenacious. A particular favorite is evening primrose, utterly delicate-looking, but she's your girl if you want someone to hang in on the edge of the driveway down by the gully...
Barb, it's Marilee, by the way.