"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

GRACE NOTES



I remember a quote I came across along time ago.
"When I works, I work.
When I sits, I sit."
It aways stuck with me. I may not have the whole quote and can't find it on the internet, but I use it to tell myself to put myself totally into whatever I am doing. Work or rest deserve full attention. I have accumulated several quotes on work or quiet time, I want to share some of them here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm a great believer in luck
and I find the harder I work,
the more I have of it.
Thomas Jefferson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Opportunity is missed by
most people because it is
dressed in overalls and
looks like work.
Thomas Edison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whether you believe you can,
or whether you believe you can't
you are absolutely right.
Henry Ford
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nothing is often a good thing to do,
and always a good thing to say.
Will Durant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is never to late to do nothing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning
can give a sense of quiet in a crowded day -
- like writing a poem or saying a prayer.
Ann Morrow Lindbergh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass
under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the mummer of the water or watching
the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time.
J. Lubbock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2 comments:

Marcie said...

I remember a quote something like, "When I works, I works hard. When I plays, I plays hard. When I sits... I falls asleep." (or alternative, when I thinks... I falls asleep.)

Cloudhands said...

That's may well be it. I have probably just modified it over the years to fit my concept of putting oneself totally into whatever you do. I also like your version of when I think--I fall asleep. Although thinking has kept me awake in the middle of the night often enough.