"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

CLOUDY QUESTION

I have often watched clouds form, dissipate and fill the sky and it has always filled me with wonder. The who, what, why and how of these fluffy, heavy looking products of air and moisture are such a curiosity to me. I wonder why I haven't studied them in more depth than the simple understanding of my childhood education. I think I just enjoy the wonder of it all and keeping it a mystery keeps it in the realm of magic for me and I can continue to ponder my own fanciful ideas. BUT, I do have a question to ask you. What possible atmospheric conditions make these clouds look flat on the bottom? I'm thinking they probably are not really solid and flattened out, perhaps there are still lumps and bumps, but to my eyes the look is of something placed down on a glass cover so that we can see it from underneath. But what creates the glass effect?
Do you think I'm am over analyzing this simple natural occurrence? I have wondered about this before and have never figured out a good explanation. It goes without saying, I could look it up here on the Internet, but first I wanted to see if someone out there who casually wanders by might not take pity on me and explain it all. Or---------------
even better, give me a fanciful story to tickle my imagination.


6 comments:

Gilly said...

They are like glass bottomed boats, somewhere inside is a little cloud man looking down at the strange but wonderful land beneath, and watching the antics of the little people in it!

The scientific reason is much duller. I have a cloud poster in my summerhouse, but it is 6.30 am and raining, so I will find out much, much later!!

Cloudhands said...

Ah, we are being watched. I can only hope the cloud people are kind and are watching with loving concern at how we are going about the business of being human.
I figure your notion is as good as any I might contemplate. In fact someone else's thoughts always help me see with a wider vision.
I am curious about the scientific facts, but I so prefer the fun and madcap possibilities.

Galaxy6139 said...

Hello, according to my knowledge, our earth's atmosphere is divided into five main layers, from the innermost to outermost: Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere, Exosphere. And the clouds mostly form in the Troposphere, Stratosphere. And the other thing is as altitude increases, the air pressure decrease. Clouds form when water vapor condenses (turns into liquid water or solid ice) onto microscopic dust particles (or other tiny particles) floating in the air. So because the lower altitude having a higher air pressure that make the water in the lower cloud part condense much more than the higher cloud part. In the other word, the water in the upper part is more freely evaporate, so we can see it's raising up liked boiling bubbles ^^ I hope I am right...

When I were young my hobby was looking up the sky and trying to find out the clouds with special shapes (like fish, cow,...) It's sweet memory.

Thanks for your photos

Cloudhands said...

Galaxy 6139,
I think cloud watching is a human experience all over the world. I have always enjoyed just sitting and finding shapes in the clouds. Your ideas about the layers of atmosphere and how they affect the clouds sounds like a good theory to me. I will use your ideas as the answer to my question of why the clouds are flat on the bottom. It makes sense to me. Thank you.

Beth Niquette said...

Clouds are so important to me since I faced death almost two years ago next month.

There is such an amazing variety of shapes in the skies...I see so many things.

I LOVE your photos!

Cloudhands said...

Beth,
I expect I may have to wander through your archives to find you death story if you shared it. I'm glad I found your blog and the delightful hearts, clouds and charming photographs.