"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Thursday, August 20, 2009

NEW WALL QUILT

I have added a new project to my Quilt Gallery. {;-)giggle, QG is a wishful thinking sort of reality.} This gallery is a short wall outside the guest bathroom where I rotate my small quilt projects. I have many UFO's in my Quilt Studio {another giggle, read sewing room} that I need to finish. UFO's are 'unfinished objects', ask any avid quilter and I bet she has a few. I have promised myself that this is the year I will get caught up and finish what I have started before I get into any new big quilting projects. I'm not doing all that well. I had to make a big boy quilt for Jackson and there have been some wonderful classes in my quilt guild that I wanted to do and of course I just had to do the church fair booth soft windows that I recently featured. So I am just futzing along with realizing my hope for this year. Learning to use my home sewing machine to quilt my work is also a big hope for this year. Machine quilting is really in vogue and I have seen the most wonderful quilting at guild and at shows. I just know I can learn to do this, but it takes practice, practice, practice. And so I have decided to use my UFO's to practice, practice, practice. This little quilt top has been around for ages. The center was a practice block to make sure my measurements were accurate. Believe me you don't want to try to put together a quilt with poorly measured pieces. It quickly becomes a distorted mess. Anyway I added the border and layered it and it was perfect for my purposes. I wanted to practice small scale quilting.
All in all I feel comfortable with my effort and know now that I can manage small area stitches. And now I also have another cute piece to hang in my 'gallery'.

6 comments:

Marcie said...

I like the combination of colors, and your quilting stiches look great!

Cloudhands said...

You may not have reconized the block, but you have seen it a few times in the girls quilts. The fabric is different because it is a practice piece and I didn't want to use up their fabric. The block is called Four Crowns. I'm getting better with my machine quilting. I still prefer the look of hand quilting but my right thumb doesn't like doing the work at all.

Gilly said...

They are SO pretty! And you are very clever! I love that floral material, with the big flamboyant hydranges. You have contrasted it so well with the other cloth.

Cloudhands said...

Hi Gilly,
I think I was drawn to quilting because I love the colors and playing with them to come up with pleasing combinations. I'm glad you like my choice of fabric and colors, I do too.

Margaret Porter said...

It's a garden of a quilt. So lovely--and you have such skill.

Cloudhands said...

Thank you Margaret,
I'm always anxious to see what I can do next to better my quilting skills and it doesn't hurt that I still look at it as playing with fabric, designs and colors.