"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

WORD PICTURES

LITTLE THINGS
Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the pleasant land.
Thus the little minutes,
Humble though they be,
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity.
Julia A. Fletcher
This is the first poem that I memorized. I knew nursery rhymes and a few Bible verses, but this was my first poem from mother's book 'THE BEST LOVED POEMS OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE 1936. I have since learned a few more that I will probably share here from time to time.

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Pretty!

Cloudhands said...

I surely have recited that little verse to you somewhere in time. It comes to mind regularly and has ever since I learned it.

Marcie said...

Actually, you have, and I have read it myself in BLP... but still, it strikes me as pretty each time I hear it! :)

Did you see that they have several copies of Attic of the Wind available on Amazon?

Gilly said...

I remember that one too! When my daughter was small we had a lovely book of children's poems, but it got lost in a house move. Very sad!

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
I actually bought it today from AbeBooks at a lower price than Amazon. AbeBooks is a clearing house for used booksellers and I have found other books here for good prices. It is supposed to be in good condition, I'll see, hopefully soon.

Gilly,
I think I'm headed into my second childhood these days. Memories of my early pleasures are returning. Hope I don't start carrying around a doll and playing missionary saving the world in Africa, which was a favorite of mine with friend Molly who lived down the street. A vacant lot next to her aunt's house was Africa.

Marcie said...

I've used Abe books myself several times with pretty decent luck. The last time I didn't get what I thought I was buying at all, so I'm cautious, but I still check them out when I'm buying text books and looking for the best deal.