"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, August 9, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL

Come walk with me around our front porch. No long stroll today. It's just too hot! For some deep rooted reason we are crazy for rocks and always have landscaped with rocks of various sizes. Here it is becoming obvious to me after several years the ground cover is beginning to overrun our rock features. I think it's time to raise them up on patio stones or maybe even thicker cement slabs.

Here is the smooth and nicely rounded rock from Lake Michigan. I expect it was tumbled and smoothed during some of the different movements of the ice ages.

The lovely and crystal filled geode is from Kentucky and we found it at a rock yard in Indiana.


I'm not sure how this charming heart shaped rock received it's shape, but it is a nice addition to our decor.

I would love to keep this narrow long rock upright because I like the hook that is in the base. I need to find stakes or supports so that I can put the hook at the top and not have it tumble over as the earth moves. I keep setting it up and next time I look it is laying on it's side. The cats are going to help me here I'm sure.

The porch is on the north side of the house and so is mostly in the shade which makes it nice for sitting, rocking and having a cold glass of tea.

It is time to pinch back my Coleus, they are getting kind of leggy and I want them to look good well into fall.


The Hummingbirds love to visit the Fuchsia when they come to their feeders. The front porch is over 80' and that probably means that the back deck is in the 90's The south facing deck is not comfortable until late afternoon.

The large leafed Hostas are starting to bloom now and I really enjoy their pretty fluted flowers.

Here is a better look at how overgrown our shrubs are getting. I meant to move the Hosta out this spring and let the Nandina fill in, but, oops I neglected that little chore.


Come again anytime and we may even venture out away from the porch if it isn't quite so hot.
Be sure to visit the other strollers over at Aisling's place.

7 comments:

Marcie said...

Sure looks pretty around your front porch! I don't have anything to hang pots or baskets from, so that is one garden feature I am missing, but wish I had. One of these days, we'll get a porch built with a little roof.

Stay cool!

Cloudhands said...

Everything is it's own time. I love porches. We can sit out during most rains and enjoy the sounds, the patterns and nature of rain and the smell of the air. I especially love the smell of ozone during lightning storms. Shepards crooks and arches are often on sale and make wonderful plant hangers, but you don't really need them; your scenery is full of things to admire.

Farmer's Daughter said...

I love the heart shaped rock! My in-laws have a heart shaped rock in their stone fireplace in their little cabin on an island in Maine. You made me imagine being in that beautiful place for a little while. Thank you!

Cloudhands said...

I see you are sentimental as much as I. Simple sights and sounds can take back to special places and time. I'm glad I had something to give you that refreshed memory.

Margaret Porter said...

The rocks are wonderful, and the plants so colourful. Your cats are adorable.

Gilly said...

That is a really pretty garden! I take it your front porch is at the front of the house? Facing the road? No way would we in the UK sit out in our front gardens! And a south-facing garden is a bonus here, means you actually get sun, though I prefer a west facing back, as you get all the afternoon and evening sun. Provided you haven't got trees in your neighbour's garden that shade you!

Cloudhands said...

Margaret,
Thanks for all the kind comments. What is it about animals that always make us smile.

Gilly,
I guess sitting out on the front porch must be an old American tradition. I remember as a child in the city of Detroit summer evenings were often spent out on the front porches. Neighbors would call across yards and across the street to visit. Sometimes someone would actually get up and move over to a neighbors porch for a more intense conversation. Now here we are out in the country with no immediate neighbors, but sitting on the porch to watch the world go by is still a favorite pastime.