"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

LOVE'S UNFINISHED SONG

Love
I love you,
not only for what you are,
but for what I am
when I am with you.
I love you,
not only for what
you have made of yourself,
but for what
you are making of me.
I love you
for the part of me
that you bring out;
I love you
for putting your hand
into my heart
and passing over
all the foolish, weak things
that you can't help
dimly seeing there,
and for drawing out
into the light
all the beautiful belongings
that no one else had looked
quite far enough
to find.
I love you because you
are helping me to make
of the lumber of my life
not a tavern
but a temple;
out of the works
of my every day
not a reproach
but a song.
I love you
because you have done
more than any creed
could have done
to make me good,
and more than any fate
could have done
to make me happy.
You have done it
without a touch,
without a word,
without a sign.
You have done it
by being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
being a friend means,
after all.
Roy Croft
Happy 49th Wedding Anniversary
my friend, my love, my husband.



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Barbara. Thank you so much for sharing that poem. I want to steal it! I think I'd read it somewhere before, but it just says so much that I feel, too. See you tonight!

Kelly Piepmeier (my identity is The Mom, because I'm usually responding to my kids' blogs...this the anonymous reply here!)

socratease8 said...

I remember this poem from the Meisterbrau Showcase with Franklyn
MacCormack from Chicago in the late 50's and early 1960's when we were
in college at Kankakee Ill. This show was from 11:05pm till 5:30am. We must have kept some late hours. What a memory, you don't get older, you just get better. The poem I believe is call "How do I love You,
let me count the ways" or something close to that.

Cloudhands said...

Kelly,
I'll bring the poem tonight. It is a wonderful tribute to love no matter who is extending it.

Socratease, Well there you go.The poem is just called 'Love'.

Cloudhands said...

The poem is best read with the Melody of Love played in the background.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I am so happy for you. A beautiful poem. Thank you for your thoughtful comments to me.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
I appreciate your coming by to say Hi, and share my joy.

Gilly said...

Beautiful! And I just love the old photo - so young, so thin!

Its our 49th Anniversary later this year - I'll have to dig our some old photos too!

Congratulations to you both!

Cloudhands said...

Gilly,
I was 19, tiny waisted and totally unaware of how little I understood about everything. Thank goodness I managed to learn a bit since then.
Get out your pictures and have fun choosing how you want to present this coming anniversary. I'm saving the big spread of memories for our 50th next year.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos, especially the new one. You truly look mahvelous, Dahlings. Congratulations to two great people.
anne

Cloudhands said...

Anne,
Joel took our portrait a couple of years ago. Glad you stopped by and left a note. Give my regards to Harry.

Nina said...

Love Cherished, Love grown, Love never ending, Love's Hope, Love's Peace, Love's challenges, Love's Joyfulness; Love's Life!... Happy Anniversary! Love and Light, Nina P

Cloudhands said...

Nina,
Lovely reflections on Love, thank you for sharing how we are shaped and blessed by this great gift from God.

Everydaywoman said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

What a wonderful poem and what lovely portraits of the bride and groom---on the wedding day and today!

Thanks for sharing!

Everydaywoman said...

Socratease8/Flutemaker, right?

You're so right about "you don't get older; you just get better!"

That's what I say about my hubby and me, after 32 years, and CERTAINLY about you two!

Cloudhands said...

Ruth,
Why thank you for your kind comments.
I'm glad I decided to moderate older site comments. My dashboard said comments needed looking at and here you are. Have a wonderful time as you go back to school.

Galaxy6139 said...

Congratulation for your 49th Wedding Anniversary ^^

I wish I would have such happiness in future...

Sincerely yours,

Cloudhands said...

Galaxy 6139,
Thank you for your good wishes, I also hope you always know happiness in your life.