"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Monday, April 6, 2009

DOGWOOD WINTER


They call this Dogwood Winter because the Dogwoods have begun to bloom. We have two days of 30' or less with freeze warnings tonight and Tuesday night. I know plastic is not the proper cover for plants, fabric is preferred. But, we were in a hurry.

This is my tender beautiful Bleeding Hearts. It's snowing. I can only hope this will be some protection for them. But, if they die back it won't be the first time. They will have to survive Blackberry winter when it comes along as well. May 10 is usually the last date for hard frosts.
Spring generally doesn't spring forth in all it's glory, but comes teasing and enticing us out to play only to give us the cold shoulder a few times just to keep us on our toes.
This will be hard on all the pretty flowers and fruit trees that have bloomed. Being nipped in the bud is hurtful, but thankfully usually not fatal.

6 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I put a number of plants on my porch because of this city home be on the market. Brought them all inside. My weather predicted is the same as yours.

Cloudhands said...

We have a fine layer of snow on the ground and the evergreens are lovely. Thank you for your kind reminder that this chilly fate is shared. What else can we do but grin and bear it.

Beverly said...

Hi, from Memphis. Came to you through One Woman's Journey....

Cloudhands said...

Beverly,
Welcome to my world. I just skipped over to your site and was amused to discover a common practice. I also collect quotes like my mother and am going to start publishing them from time to time. Come again anytime and I'll visit you as well.

Marcie said...

Dogwood Winter is a pretty name for your little burst of winter. I wrote on my blog in January about seasons within seasons. One of those micro-seasons is visiting you! The wind is currently pelting snow and sleet against the front of my house, so you have my complete sympathy! I hope your bleeding hearts weather the storm well.

hugs,

Cloudhands said...

Aisling,
We woke up this morning to two inches of snow covering everything. Your Dad took the covers off of everything and they look sort of O.K. we need to cover them again tonight but I fear for them. It has been snowing again today. It's a kind of "OH WELL" sort of time. Not of my choosing or making but there you go.