"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, April 19, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL

I tried all week to get a clear picture of Buba Hummer, but since he arrived last Monday "He who won't hold still" has defeated my efforts for clarity. But he is one delightful bossy bird. His LadyLove arrived Friday. Their family has come home for the summer.Also arriving to add color to our bird kingdom is the lovely and charming
Scarlet Tanager. His nervousness at having the cat and me on our front porch kept him some distance away in the Dogwood in the front yard. He sang for us and showed off his black wings and tail, but never came in for his close up.
The Dogwood is in it's early stage of opening up and is still in sepia tones. The petals will finish opening up to a beautiful pure white.

Gigi joined Flutemaker and me as we roamed the woods looking for Morel mushrooms. We look every year and are disappointed every year. And, of course, no one shares their Morel hunting grounds with anyone, often not even family.

We did spot a great number of yellow violets, so sweet.


My best bet on naming this swirl of leaves was found in the Great Smokey Mountains Wildflower book. I think it is Rattlesnake Plantain, I will visit often to see if spikes of tiny orchids show up between now and July. If you know it to be something else please let me in on the name.

Returning to the house I was please to see how far along the Lily of the Valleys have come. These fragrant little flowers line one end of the garage.

Along the back of the garage beside the Hollyhocks are the curious Money plant volunteers.

These Phlox live out on the hill that is the backstop for our target practice.

Gi Gi came back into the house and proceeded to demonstrate one of her favorite activities- Cat napping.
Please join other Strollers over at The Quiet Country House.

6 comments:

Tabbie said...

How wonderful your cat looks climbing in the tree -- very much like a leopard in motion! I wish I could take my cat for walks, but she isn't very fond of the leash. Living in the city prevents anything different.

Morel mushrooms do sound good. I wonder if I shall find any this year.

Cloudhands said...

Tabbie,
How nice of you to stop by. We have two cats that we kept on leases and walked around our property till they were about one and then let them loose. They are four now and love to explore and walk with us. I don't know any cat that likes a lease at first. Good hunting to you if you go out for morels.

Everydaywoman said...

What lovely bird neighbors you have! And I also love the "Lilly of the Valley," it brings back such wonderful memories of spring on my paents' farm while growing up. I think it was a favorite of my mother's. You must know your mushrooms. . . I've always been too afraid to go mushroom hunting due to horror stories of poisonous one!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Enjoyed reading what is going on in your part of the world. I am still surprised about the Morel's on my property. Home today but starting tomorrow a busy week in the country. Have a great day.

Cloudhands said...

Ruth, So glad to have you visit. As a child I always gave my mother a perfune that was in a blue bottle and I wish I could rmember if it was Lily of the Valley. Morel mushrooms are very distinct looking, although there is a false morel. But, with a good guide (book or human) you can be pretty sure of your edible mushroom. DH hunted them as a youngster and he's still going strong.

Cloudhands said...

Ernestine,
You have been so busy here lately. It was good to read that you had someone look at you city home. I am still holding good thoughts for you there. I am also wishing you well on meeting that Hardy Board (?) fellow as soon as possible. Have a wonderful week filled with accomplishments.