"Simple like an uncarved block."
Tao te Ching


"Like an acorn that holds the promise of a thousand forests."

Sunday, April 26, 2009

SUNDAY STROLL (RAIN BARREL FESTIVAL)

This is one of the entrances to Dogwood Park in Cookeville, Tennessee. We have arrived to check out the Rain Barrel Festival created in part by the Storm Water Management folks who developed Rain Gardens around town to manage the rain run off and eliminate expensive storm drain systems when possible.

Here I have Flutemaker sit on one of the benches along the way. He is admiring the serene setting between the rose gardens nearer the main street and the park at the end of the walkway. There are no roses in bloom yet so I'll wait to photograph that area another day.

A close up of the tree that gives the park it's name.


The pretty sister tree, Pink Dogwood.

Entering the park proper you see some of the rain barrels that are offered to the public in a Silent Auction. You can also see some construction being done around the area of the Band Shell. Tiers of lawn are being developed where folks can set up lawn chairs or blankets to view the Pavilion where entertainment occurs. Shakespeare in the Park and Band Concerts are only two of the treats that are offered.

Here more rain barrels are set in front of the covered pavilion. There are plenty more barrels up on the band stand, sorry it is so dark. The barrels were painted by local artists, school children and a wonderful resource of Pacesetter clients (developmentally challenged folks whose art shows up at art galleries and fairs locally).

More barrels to bid on. The bidding started at $50. I saw some pretty steep bids placed on many. We did not get a painted barrel this time, but I put my name on a list for a place at the next workshop for doing your own barrel in about six weeks.

Here is the mock up of how the barrels will look at the base of an eaves trough. The downspout goes into the closed top through a screened hole. The top hose is for the overflow so the barrel doesn't burst from overfilling. The bottom tap is elevated off the ground so you can fill your water bucket. The water will be wonderful for gardens or what ever you need soft water for.


Back home I wanted to show you the scene from our front porch. The Dogwoods are understory trees and to our eyes look like snowy white clouds have settled down among the Oaks* and just float there. It is especially pretty driving along and viewing the cloudlike look in tree lots that surround meadows, pastures and cultivated fields. So pretty.
*Oaks leaf out very late, hence the barren look. My father remembered the old folks here in this part of Tennessee waiting until the Oak leaves were bigger than a squirrel's ear before planting tender crops. That would signal no more heavy frosts.

See who else recorded their stroll today at The Quiet Country House.

7 comments:

Marcie said...

The rain barrels are very cool. It sounds like it was a fun day, with a lot to see and do. Can't wait to see your "do it yourself" barrel eventually!

The dogwoods are wonderful!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love the rain barrels. Maybe some time I will drive to the festival. I would love to have one. Dogwoods are beautiful in Tennessee this year. Have a good day.

Cloudhands said...

Oh I probably do a blow by blow when I create my own beautified rain barrel. Talked to one of the artists at church and she gave me some hints. I'll have to tap her again when the time comes.
Ernestine, that would be so nice to have your company at a future Rain Barrel event. I'll keep you informed.

Margaret Porter said...

What wonderful rain barrels!
Thank you for posting the dogwoods, wonderful reminders of the Southern spring. I miss the way those clouds of white, and sometimes pink, decorate the landscape.

Cloudhands said...

Margaret, Glad you enjoyed the rain barrels. The concept is so fresh. Decorating the barrel adds a dimension that proclains "look at me and learn my value." We'll see if they start appearing at the corner of many houses.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dogwood! Ours is just starting to bud. Years ago we have open rain barrels under the eaves for watering the garden, but we gave them up because of mosquitoes laying eggs in open bodies of water...so these rain barrels with the closed tops are very interesting to me. Thanks for posting!

Cloudhands said...

Mibsy,
Welcome to my corner of Tennessee. I'm sure the plans for building your own rain barrel would be somewhere on the internet. I'm looking forward to creating my own water saver. We have had drought for two years. It seems we have caught up this year. Gathering a useful resorce like water seems very thrifty and wise to me.